Salon 184

‘Squid Games: The Challenge’ gives a chance for a better life

Audrey Goetz

Green light… Red light. Player 318, eliminated. The first of many to lose a grand chance of winning a sparkling 4.56 million dollars. 

Each participants’ nerves escalate, shaking in their pure white shoes through each passing game, unknowing of what their fate will lead them to– erupting arguments, regrets, and betrayals of some while alliances form amongst others. Familiar green suits reveal their numbers out of 456 players, all of whom aim towards the same goal: winning the life changing reward. 

Squid Games was initially published for entertainment purposes, drawing the line of competition and revealing true forms of the competitors. Just years ago it was a one-in-a-lifetime dream to become a millionaire at the cost of one’s components, and now, it’s a dream formed into reality; with many differences now shown between the two shows streaming on Netflix. 

With many games, they continue to appear favorites amongst many, especially one that remained through both of the series: Dalgona. Dalgona has the simple goal of cutting the desired shape out of the cookie. Calyn Brantley, who’s currently a junior at PPCHS, found the new series of Dalgona to be an interesting choice in “the first people [having] to pick. It was interesting to see how indecisive people were, [and] if they didn’t pick they would be eliminated.” With many games becoming a favorite, the challenge has brought twists through every single one. 

Throughout the series, many unique aspects were shown. Calyn personally noticed the increase of “competitiveness it brought out in people. Except not in a good way.” Squid Games has been seen to bring the worst out of people, Brantley believes it “was actually concerned to see how willing  to hurt other people to increase their chances”.

Squid Games: The Challenge and the prior-released Squid Games series have multiple differences through games and the in-betweens. New games have been presented, with their own unique tricks, along with special advantages towards certain players and the chance to eliminate someone anonymously. Calyn considers these unique opportunities “unfair,” especially “that some random player can get lucky enough to eliminate someone.”

Now with it becoming a real life chance at winning the sparkling 4.56 million dollars accumulating inside the piggy bank, it has become a questioning thought of taking the opportunity to participate in the show if the chance was given. Although some may want to take the offer of a lifetime, it becomes the similar feel of a lottery ticket and hoping the numbers were rightfully picked out. 

Out of 456 people, the winnings only seem to become a reality in the end. Calyn wouldn’t find herself participating in these games, as “the chances at winning are so slim, and having to emotionally harm another human being over a game… isn’t something I’d want to be a part of.” With the chances seemingly to grow slimmer with every deathly challenge, it appears unlikely to put oneself at such risk through damage, in more ways than one, for money that won’t appear worth it in the end. 

The spark of the returning series, which was incredibly popular throughout the first few months of release in 2021, has grown to a real-life chance for many. It offers opportunities to those in debt and can change the lives of many for generations to come. No matter the chances, regrets, or revenge on their fallen alliances, the games have revealed one consistent concept: successful or not, money makes people do crazy things, all for only a chance at claiming victory.

Salon 184