Salon 184

News Briefs #6: The death of Henry Kissenger & sentencing of Michigan’s shooter

Evan Omana

UNLV Shooting

Last Wednesday (December 6th, 2023), a 67 year old male broke fire on a college campus. He killed three faculty members and left one person injured. The shooting took place on UNLV’s (University of Nevada, Las Vegas) campus that morning. The 67 year old, Anthony Polito, had allegedly applied for a position at the university but was rejected. In anger, he stormed the college murdering an assistant professor (Patricia Navarro Velez), the professor of Japanese studies (Naoko Takemaru), and a professor of management information systems (Cha-Jan ‘Jerry’ Chang). After an encounter with police, the rampant gunman was shot. The school sends their condolences to the victims and their family. Fortunately, no students were harmed but there is still an ongoing investigation on the premises. 

Death of Henry Kissenger 

The late Henry Kissenger (former United States Secretary of State), passed away in his home on November 29th. Kissenger was exactly 100 years old when he died. During his lifetime, he negotiated Vietnam’s war conflict, securing himself an honorable Nobel peace prize. Kissenger also visited many countries to get them to sign off on the Helsinki Accords in 1975. The secretary of state additionally influenced Chile and Angola, reinforcing military policies during the cold war. Kissenger was not born in the U.S. as he was a jewish refugee who fled Nazi Germany in the late 1930s. After divorcing Ann Fleischer, he ended up marrying an American socialite by the name of Nancy Kissenger. He had two children and five grandkids all of which have been sent condolences from allies of Kissenger.

George Santos Expelled

The now former house of representative, George Santos, has been kicked out of congress. Santos was elected earlier this year (January 3rd of 2023), and throughout his term, the republican politician spread frequent lies. Santos lied about being a descendant of holocaust survivors, he also lied about his mother surviving 9/11. In connection to those lies he also stole money from his own campaign. With the campaign money, Santos was able to afford designer brands, makeup, botox, expensive restaurants, and several subscriptions on inappropriate websites. George Santos now joins a group of 15 other people who were indicted from the House of Representatives. 

Michigan Shooter sentenced after 2 years

Ethan Crumbley, now 17 years old, has finally been sentenced to life without parole. During 2021, the teenager (Crumbley), shot and killed 4 students on Oxford High School’s campus. Crumbley had pleaded guilty to first-degree murder, attempted murder, and terrorism causing death. The Judge, Kwame L. Rowe rejected any parole option, deeming the rehabilitation process as highly unlikely. The victims who survived the violent shooting shared their experiences coping with the trauma. Crumbley will now serve a life in prison.

Presidential debate summary

On December 6th, the republican party had their fourth presidential debate. The fourth Republican presidential debate was held in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, and the event was hosted by NewsNation. The debate featured four candidates: Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, former South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley, biotech entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy, and former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie. The absence of former President Donald Trump, intensified the focus on what appears to be a battle for second place. The candidates’ attacks on Trump were more urgent than in previous debates as he maintains a commanding lead in the polls heading into the event, providing the attendees what may be one of the last opportunities before votes start being cast to upset the race.