Salon 184

Heroes of Charter: Juliette Othon and The Sara Othon Foundation

Life begins with a mother holding her newborn baby. Not just thinking about the dangers of the world, but rather how they can protect this innocent human being that they just brought into the universe. A parent’s wish is to always be there for their child, and protect them from pain. For a child, they want their mother to always be there for them and keep them safe. But, for sophomore Juliette Othon, a harsh disease came unexpectedly into her mother’s life, and the hopeful, yet unrealistic expectations from before began to crumble. Not long after Juliette Othon was born in 2007, her mother, Sara Othon, was diagnosed with Scleroderma, an autoimmune disease that causes inflammation and fibrosis in the skin and other areas of the body.

After Juliette’s mom was diagnosed, Juliette’s whole family knew they had to step up. Not only were they tasked with taking care of a newborn, but also with navigating a new life with a sick parent. “I have never really seen my mom not sick. My dad has done so much for our family that we are all extremely grateful [for]. My two older sisters became like my second moms; they would help me with everything because my mom couldn’t do much. I know it was hard on my sisters because they had to take a big step forward and help around the house [and with] my mom. My mom being sick was normal for me as a child,” Juliette says. Despite the obstacles thrown their way, according to Juliette, the Othon family deals with it “pretty well.” Their unwavering positivity under all circumstances is how they continue to see the light in the dark.

While dealing with their mother’s illness, the Othon family decided to create the Sara Othon Foundation. According to Juliette, her family created the foundation because “it [Scleroderma] is a very rare disease and not a lot of people know about it.” With a multitude of events being held each year, the foundation hosts “golf tournaments, pig roasts, pickleball tournaments, domino tournaments, trap shootings, bike rides, and a Scleroderma walk.” The ultimate goal of the foundation is to one day find a cure for the disease. As of now, the only treatments available are limited to surgery, therapies, and medication. All the money that is raised from their events goes to the National Scleroderma Foundation and John Hopkins, which have been a major help to Juliette’s mom with her treatment and in her battle with fighting this disease. “One thing I pray for is that we [the foundation] are able to find a cure because this disease is not easy; it affects your whole life,” says Juliette.

The Othon family and the Sara Othon Foundation continue to remain strong, steadfast in their hopes that they will one day reach the goal that they want to achieve. Despite the obstacles they’ve encountered in the past, Juliette and her family show that they continue to be heroes throughout everything. Rather than focus on just herself, she has taken the initiative to create a foundation to help others who are also affected by Scleroderma. Thousands of people manage illnesses without the support system that they desperately need, and the unwavering support the Othon family has had for Sara Othon has made all the difference.

Salon 184