Sweet Treats by Julie

A celebration of life for “Friends” actor Matthew Perry

Audrey Goetz

On October 28, the world lost a beloved actor. To the many fans of Matthew Perry who didn’t know him personally, a deep hole will be forever felt in their hearts that were once filled with the comedic relief he brought to them.

Running from 1994 to 2004, the sitcom Friends was the start of fame for Perry. Along with his co-stars, Jennifer Aniston, David Schwimmer, Lisa Kudrow, Courteney Cox, and Matt Leblanc, many Millennials and Generation Zers, who grew up watching the show, loved Perry for his role of Chandler Bing. Bing’s witty, satirical humor brought a contrast against all the other characters in the show. “There were so many sarcastic and funny moments of Chandler that I can’t pick one. He was the funny, sarcastic friend, but knew when to be supportive and loving,” sophomore Isabella Abohasen expresses. Another sophomore, Alessandra Moreno, reminisces on her favorite moment from Friends, “the moment when Joey and Chandler move into Monica and Rachel’s apartment.” In the 10 years the show ran, Perry brought great joy to all who watched, with many fan-favorite moments being from his character. No matter the age, from teens to adults, there was always enjoyment for anybody who watched Matthew Perry’s acting.

While filming the hit show, Matthew Perry suffered from addiction. Back then, the stigma of mental health and addiction was complicated, making it difficult for Perry to openly discuss his struggles, so hiding it was the unfortunate decision he had to make. Years later, in November of 2022, he released his memoir Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing, where he described his journey with his hidden addiction while filming Friends. A sense of empathy and appreciation from fans all over the world was garnered, as not many knew about what he was going through. While he was delivering iconic moments in the show, he was simultaneously fighting a personal battle. His memoir also helped spread more awareness about addiction, as many felt seen as someone with such fame was also combating the disease.

While Friends has been over for years, the legacy of Matthew Perry has been and will continue to be present as he leaves behind a memorable mark on the world. At just 54, the youngest to pass away from the Friends cast, many of his co-stars, friends, family, and fans mourn his passing. This tragedy sparks a memory when 19 years ago, “Goodbye, Chandler Bing,” was said as a final goodbye on screens, now “Goodbye, Matthew Perry,” becomes a reality.

Sweet Treats by Julie

View Comments (3)