Salon 184

Sailing the Seas of Success: Charter Alumnus Joseph Omana’s Yacht Odyssey

Photo+donated+by+Joseph+Omana+
Photo donated by Joseph Omana

Where most find the specific yet indescribable homelike comfort on land, an alumnus has found shelter in dark turquoise Floridian waters.

Joseph Omana, an auspicious charter graduate from the class of 2017, has become the proud owner of yacht management company High Tide Marine Services LLC. “I provide maintenance such as weekly checkups and system checks for owners who don’t live in the state full-time,” Omana explained. The captain also stated that he monitors onboard belongings and provides captain services for anyone whose boat needs transportation. 

In a career that has taken him to the Bahamas with wealthy families and garnered contracts from billionaires and millionaires, Joseph Omana is bound by non-disclosure agreements, safeguarding the privacy of his high-profile clients. If there is one thing that Omana can share, it’s his advice to aspiring captains of the future: “This industry spans worldwide but you would be surprised how small of a community it is. Everyone knows everyone. So keep that in mind when you’re starting off, word of mouth can take you a long way if you impress someone along the way.”

Omana also mentioned how similar the industry is to a totem pole. “If you start at the bottom (as a Deckhand or Mate) and work your way up, you’ll earn the title Captain in no time.” According to him, the Captain is just as good as his crew, so the Captain needs to understand and know how to do everyone’s role onboard. Only then, will they become a seasoned captain after accomplishing the humbling learning process. 

Amidst the demands of a high-profile career, Joseph still finds solace in his love for fishing. “Most of my memories in high school involve having a fishing rod in my truck and going to fish with my friends after school or especially on high school study days.” the alumnus recalled. Today, those cherished moments serve as a reminder of the simplicity and joy that shaped his formative years.

However, Joseph Omana could not foresee his trajectory while at Charter. It was immediately after graduation that the captain could reshape his perspective. “I met yacht brokers and other captains and it changed my perspective on the industry and I jumped in head first”. The allure of the high seas, the exclusivity of yacht life, and the joy of reaching remote destinations by water became the cornerstone of his passion.

According to Joseph, he had always been more of a hands-on learner, “I would struggle with some criteria more than others”. Even then, Omana made the most of high school and made a few friends along the way. As far as educators go, “Mrs. Vega, Ms. Sumby, Mrs. Ferrer, and the late Mr. Troha” left an indelible mark on Omana. “They really made my time in high school more beneficial and memorable,” he recalled.

Since entering the yachting industry in 2017, Joseph Omana has become a testament to the Charter spirit—where dreams may not have a predetermined course but are bound only by the vastness of one’s aspirations. As he sails into the horizon, Joseph Omana continues to honor the lessons learned at Pembroke Pines Charter High School, proving that the journey is just as important as the destination.