Graphic by Viviana Munoz

Rebecca vs. Rebekah

Point Counter-Point: Flowers vs. Treats

February 16, 2022

Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, This Valentine’s Day, You’d Love Some Flowers, Wouldn’t You?

Photo by Natali Brito

You take a deep breath, inhaling the gently sweet and irresistibly fresh scent of the flowers, made even more delightful by the fact that the gift was given to you by a loved one. As soon as you get home, you place them into an ornate vase, which complements the beauty of the flowers. The soft pink peonies, golden daffodils, and delicate baby’s breath provide your home with a much-needed burst of color that uplifts your mood whenever you walk past. 

These days, giving flowers isn’t the most popular option for Valentine’s Day. Throwing a box of chocolates at your valentine might seem like an easy option, but why not get them a more meaningful gift? As junior Macarena Morales explains, “Flowers are more meaningful because they… require more thought when you’re giving it to someone, like for example you wouldn’t give the same type of flower to everyone. Each flower is unique to everyone.” Different flowers send different messages; for example, red roses represent love and romance, white lilies represent purity and/or new beginnings, and sunflowers can represent anything from loyalty to optimism. 

Some even have preferences for unique flowers, such as junior Matthew Castillo, who says “If it was a friend or anyone else, I’d be more inclined for chocolate but if it was someone I really liked, and they got me venus flytrap or a hydrangea I’d be really happy, but only the ones that react with pH to turn different colors!” It doesn’t necessarily have to be an elaborate bouquet of flowers; both non-flowering plants and flowers have deeper meanings. Venus flytraps, for instance, represent persistence.

Now don’t get me wrong, I do love chocolate, and they make a pretty good Valentine’s Day gift. But once they’re gone, they’re gone; it doesn’t matter if you bought it at a supermarket or from a master chocolate maker in Switzerland. Even though fresh flowers may have a shorter lifespan than properly-stored chocolate, even after they die, they are valuable and can serve a purpose. Some choose to preserve dead flowers in resin or shadow boxes, while others simply save them as decorations. And even when dead, flowers represent something deeper: the longevity of beauty or love. 

Overall, the act of giving flowers is just more poetic and expressive. Flowers represent the utmost beauty of nature and are tools for human communication. To give someone a flower is to give them a hand-written letter: each petal representing a word.  

So this February, maybe consider giving flowers to your loved ones. Whether it’s meant to be platonic or romantic, giving someone flowers is a lot more meaningful and thoughtful than buying someone chocolates. There are an infinite amount of types, colors, and deeper meanings when it comes to flowers, but no matter which ones you choose, just know that you will be brightening someone’s day.