Thanksgiving Food Shortages Affecting Charter Students

Photo by Lindsey Smith

Andrea Cid Garcia-Mella, Staff Writer

A delay in shipping has caused a domino effect, which is now affecting the availability of common Thanksgiving foods. The cargo ships responsible for transporting foods globally have had a hard time readjusting to life after COVID-19’s peak, which has caused major shipping delays nationally (Fortune). 

This problem started getting more serious in early October; currently, there are shortages in turkey, canned products, bread, apples, cranberries, and pumpkins, which is an obstacle that families will now have to figure out how to overcome. Considering that these foods are notorious Thanksgiving-meal statements, many will be missing their traditional plates (Syracuse University).

Many households are having trouble thinking of a solution to this problem, but sophomore Matthew Blackwood expresses, “If my family is unable to get a turkey then we’ll eat jerk chicken instead and enjoy other foods that we like, even if they aren’t what we usually eat for thanksgiving.” Being able to put aside typical Thanksgiving foods is one way Charter students are dealing with this complication. Other family recipes or foods that everyone enjoys can be incorporated into this meal instead. The lack of pumpkin, cranberries, and other favorites won’t take away from the holiday itself. Matthew’s family shows how it’s possible to think outside of the box and come up with something new when in a foreign situation. 

However, the missing foods are sadly not just a local problem. This food shortage is a problem all across America (Fortune), meaning that students who are planning to travel to see family in different states will be affected by this too. Junior Vanessa Garcia explains, “I’m going on a cruise for Thanksgiving and I’m anxious to see whether they’re able to provide us with typical Thanksgiving foods. If I don’t have turkey with mashed potatoes and all that other stuff, it won’t feel the same.” Sadly, this thought remains in the back of most students’ minds. Even though the holiday isn’t just about food, it still plays an important role.

It’s currently unknown when this problem will be resolved, or if it will even be resolved at all; it’s likely that a national solution won’t be found before Thanksgiving (Good Housekeeping). Multiple students have family traditions involving these foods so it’s unfortunate that they will have to miss out on them this year. Freshman Anthony Medrano feels, “It’s sad that I probably won’t be able to have Turkey this year since it’s something I look forward to. When I think of Thanksgiving, the first thing that pops into my head is a big feast with a Turkey in the center.” Unfortunately, the shortage is affecting students like Anthony personally. Having a turkey, along with the other elements of a typical holiday meal is something many students and their families look forward to. 

But this doesn’t mean it isn’t possible to still have a good Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving goes beyond the food; it’s about being grateful for all one has. At the end of the day, it’s not the food that makes the holiday, it’s the people around us and the time we share together.