Cancer Awareness: How Relay for Life is making an impact

Graphic by Megan Ingram

Kimani Dodd, Opinions Editor

Relay for Life! You may have heard this term before, but what exactly does it mean? It’s a community-based fundraising event for the American Cancer Society. It originally began in 1985 and was founded by colorectal surgeon Dr.Gordy Klatt. PPCHS is one of the many schools aiming to keep the legacy alive by the Relay for Life club. Each single month, sophomore mission lead Lindsey Smith makes informational digital flyers along with a powerpoint slide on the monthly cancer. Most importantly, it’s Breast Cancer Awareness month. Lindsey then shares this information to all the Relay members along with posting it on the club’s Instagram page. As for this year, the main goal is to raise $8,000 or more before the annual Relay event, which will be held on March 12,2022. Each member fundraises is required to raise at least $100 on the FUNdraising app.  These funds will be used to research, more specifically the cure of Cancer. For this particular event, the theme is Reality TV and the PPCHS tent will be the Incredibles. To incorporate this theme, the club will decorate their tent like the Incredibles. Club president Natalie Tsung says “ Later on in the year, the club committee will determine which decorations to use.Some potential ideas are selling Incredibles themed cookies or gift baskets.” While it remains to be seen how the Relay event will turn out, it looks like they already have a good start. This club is already making a positive impact on the community and hopefully it will continue for many more years to come.