Phalancia+Louise

Phalancia Louise

Q: What about charter stood out to you?

A: The location. So, I currently live in Broward now and my previous job was in Little Havana so I would drive from Miramar to Little Havana and it was horrendous on I-95. So, literally it’s been 5 weeks now and my drive to work and from work is so seamless. 

Q: Did you have a career prior to becoming a teacher?      

A: I worked in retail and I also worked in higher education. I worked at Florida international university as an assistant or an advisor to student programming. So, I helped college students plan activities and events. I also worked at Apple part time as an Apple specialist, I actually just left a few weeks ago. I was there for four years.

Q: What did you study in college?

A: In undergrad I majored in English literature, hence me being an English teacher. I’m also currently in grad school and I’m getting my masters in higher education and African studies.

Q: Have you always wanted to be a teacher?

A: Actually, I wanted to get into education and I wanted to be a professor. So, not necessarily teaching this age group, mainly older students. But, so far I like my experience.

Q: Did you have a teacher when you were younger that made an impact on you?

A: Yes, my tenth grade English teacher Miss Martinez. Oh my goodness, I love this lady. She currently works at Miami Country Dade, which is a private school in Miami. But, her class instilled why I want to be an English teacher. She was amazing and she was very passionate about the subject, I actually learned in her class. 

Q: What do you like most about the subject you teach?

A: Everything. So, I love books, hence me being an English teacher. I love to read and I love to write. I write poetry as a hobby, I’m working on a chat book. I’ve always loved books and I’ve always loved reading, I don’t know why. I love being lost in the characters’ world and seeing what they go through, I like to imagine that I’m one of their friends or with them. So, I just love that books allow you an escape from reality.

Q: If you could tell your younger self anything, what would it be?

A: Start now. Just start now, whatever it is you want to do, just do it. So I graduated in 2015 with my English degree but I didn’t start working until 2020. So, I was literally just sitting on my degree. You know sometimes you’ll want to go after something but you’re either scared or you’re putting it off? Whatever the reason is, just start whatever it is. That’s what I would tell my younger self.

Q: How long have you been teaching and if you’ve taught before, have you always taught this subject?

A: I’ve been teaching for two years. This is my second year teaching and yes, it’s my second year teaching English. Last year I worked at a charter school in Miami and I taught ninth, tenth, eleventh, and twelfth grade, plus AP English. I was the sole high school English teacher for the school. 

Q: What was your favorite subject when you were in school?

A: English. I also liked PE, although I wasn’t very sporty or into sports. So I liked English and PE. 

Q: How has covid-19 impacted you?

A: Personally, I’m a very outgoing person. I love to go to concerts and music festivals. So, that was something that I had to rethink. Seeing that covid is a virus, being around these huge crowds there’s a high chance of contracting the virus. So I really had to reorganize and replan what I wanted to do for fun now. I was able to stay home a lot with my parents and spend a lot of time with them. A few family friends have died from the virus but no immediate family, thank god. Both of my parents, well my dad, he has a pre-existing condition. He has cancer so for me, it requires me to be extra careful because his immune system isn’t as strong as mine. I have to make sure I’m not engaging in activities where I’m at risk of getting the virus and then taking it to him.

CHAT News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in