Setting Up a Back to Back

Donated by Cayla Mortman

Marko Barrera, Student Life Editor

Fresh off a BCAA Big 8 Championship run, the Lady Jags are more than ready to run it back. With some changes in the roster and regulations being more lenient, it’s safe to say that the season’s going to look a little different. As different as it may be, PCV looks more excited than anxious to take on these obstacles. 

Last year, our championship team had five seniors, including co-captains Natalie Hernandez and Paula Lilliquist, being a big part in leading the team to their 13-3 record. With these five players graduating, five spots opened up and were filled with some fresh new faces.

As for the regulations, a major difference is that spectators are now allowed at home games.       Prior to this season, only players, coaches, and staff members could be in the gym mostly because they helped out with the gameplay. Bringing fans back completely changes the game for the Jags, especially for each player on the court. Co-captain Danelli Mejia, junior, shared a similar take, stating, “The vibe and energy is just different when there are spectators watching.” Expect games to be much louder and exciting, now that the audiences can fill up.

Although these differences change up the season, the goal remains the same as always: make it back to the BCAA Big 8 Championship and win it once again. Sarah Schnell, sophomore, shared her thoughts on how she thinks she and her team can do as well, and better, than the year prior. “We’re going through a rebuilding year at the moment because we lost five seniors,” she says, “So I think rebuilding our chemistry and more practice can help us go far again.” It can be agreed that high success does mean higher expectations. 

Two games into the season, the Lady Jags are 0-2 off the bat, losing to South Plantation in straight to sets, as well as Cypress Bay, 3 sets to 1. Next week, they have a home game on Thursday the 8th versus Cardinal Gibbons and an away game the next day versus Everglades. 

As mentioned before, this year’s team has yet to find their way from last year, yet with the potential that they have, our Lady Jags are definitely on the right track.