How to Cope with College Rejections

Graphic by Bryan Lara

Graphic by Bryan Lara

Samantha Miragliotta, Staff Writer

When you submit a college application, it can be an exciting time in your life; nevertheless, when you receive a rejection letter from that college, you can feel frustrated or even stressed. Notifications and feedback on whether you have been accepted to the colleges you have applied to can arrive at different times. 

For instance, sophomore Reef Ostendorf explains that “Although I have not been denied to any colleges yet, I have been considering some of the colleges I would like to apply to in the future. I believe that at first I would be disappointed if I was rejected from one of the colleges to which I had applied, but I think that in the long run, it would provide me with the opportunity to attend a better school.”

If you are a student who was accepted, congratulations! But for many sometimes disappointment tends to follow. If you’re a high school student who has applied, then the title of this story probably caught your attention. 

Unless you are a student who got into their top choice school through the early decision process, then you are most likely among the multitude of students who are trying to deal with an emotional rollercoaster with anxiety and depression.

These three tips help provide some valuable insight on coping with college rejections. If you’re a student scratching your head and hoping for this very tough year with applying to colleges to end, then this story is for you. Attached below are three strategies to help you effectively overcome these emotions you might feel after a college rejection.

• Dealing with Your Feelings

Allow yourself to be disappointed for a day or two. You have put in a lot of effort to get to the point where you can apply your application. After learning that you have been denied admission to a chosen college or university can be devastating. As a result, it’s natural to be upset for a day or two, but don’t wallow in it. Don’t take a rejection letter from an admissions committee personally. Reach out to your social network for support. Instead of isolating yourself, allow your friends and family to console and encourage you. Seek out people who will really love you. This may boost your confidence and make you feel better. 

• Assessing The Role of College on Your Life

Getting into the right school may be less important to you than having a good college experience.  Also, recognize that there are many paths to obtaining an education, establishing a profession, and living one’s life. College may play a significant role in this process. If things don’t go as expected, there are a variety of options for obtaining the education and experience you need. 

• Reorganizing, Reapplying, and Rethinking

If you’ve been rejected from any college you applied to, you may want to reconsider your options. There are some other options if you haven’t received any acceptance letters. Take advantage of this opportunity to do some homework and come up with a well-thought-out Plan B. Collect details from other colleges and career options.