This photo was taken by Matt Botsford, Unsplash.

Charter Responds: The Events of January 6th

January 16, 2021

In order to assess the thoughts and opinions of a cross-section of the Charter student community, the CHAT reached out with the following question and recorded the responses students gave. 

How do you feel about the current state of our administration, Biden’s upcoming inauguration, and America as a whole based on the events that took place over the past few days, specifically on January 6th?

——————————————————————————————

• “I think that the whole situation was extremely disgraceful, and it showed to other nations of the world that America is not in control. The lack of security and the endangerment of house officials was so messy and showed the world our vulnerability at the same time. Also, the disrespect that that extremist exhibited was insane to me. I am still in shock that someone brought the Confederate flag and that was the first time ever it flew in the capitol. Overall, it was terrible to watch, because it showed that our government was not in control.”  -Freshman Leanne Sorensen
  • “As for the events at the Capitol, the violence that ensued was horrible and the protestors should’ve gone about it in a different way, a more peaceful way. The right to protest is a key American value, and these people have the right to share their opinion, however, they need to do it in a way that does not harm others or degrade anyone else’s views.”– Freshman Kaitlyn Jorgensen 
  • “I think that the situation was not handled the same way the BLM protesters were. and no one can even say this was unprecedented, regardless there was clear racial discrimination. Pro-Trump rioters were handled gently while the BLM protestors faced tear gas and rubber bullets.” -Sophomore Jillian Medina 
  • I thought that what happened was just horrible, and it was also handled so poorly. It was also just despicable, and I think everything just had mal intent and it should have never happened. Of course, everyone should practice the right to protest, but this wasn’t that since government property was destroyed. It was just entirely disappointing and despicable.” -Sophomore Chloe Barnett
  • (In regards to a picture from the riot of someone wearing an anti-Semitic shirt.) “One person wearing a bad shirt… really? Honestly, you’re looking at one person out of a lot. What that person did was not funny nor cute. It isn’t cool to make little of that circumstance or situation, ever. However, I’m sure this is gonna come around and bite me on the bite (sic), so I’m gonna add something to this. There were a lot of Patriots there who were extremely upset at the disappointment of this election.”– Sophomore Joziel Fuentes 
  • “There’s no longer a middle ground in the United States. You can’t be republican without being viewed as extremely far right, and you can’t be a democrat without being viewed as extremely far left. Unfortunately, this gray area that used to exist doesn’t anymore, and I think this can be attributed to this past presidency. We have to do better as a county from here on out and hopefully, Biden is able to create unity in the U.S which is essential right now.” -Junior Miranda Pereira
  • “I think what happened at the Capitol is indicative of just how divided our country has gotten over the last few years. It was upsetting to see what should’ve been a peaceful transition of power in a place that’s the heart of our democracy be attacked in such a way, and I think the fact that some of the people were able to get so far into the Capitol building was frightening and the extreme views of some helped lead to this. I know our nation will be able to recover, but it will take a long time and a lot of work to change people and help unify us again.” -Junior Zayna Diaz
  • “I think everything that has happened recently is sad and devastating and people need positivity in their life right now, and I’m hopeful that in the next few months things will get better regarding everything political and everything Covid, but I just think it’s really important that we all stick together at this time and remember to be positive and hope for better and a change.” -Senior Mackenzie Ahearn
  • “After witnessing what happened on January 6th and realizing how much worse it could’ve become, I’ve only become more confident in my belief that our current administration and country as a whole is in a terrible state. Furthermore, we can probably expect worse on the day of Biden’s inauguration as well.”-Senior Arvin Saji

In an effort to also capture a greater portion of the full response to the events on January 6th in the media, the following are quotes from prominent public officials who’ve spoken out in recent days, from across the political spectrum.

——————————————————————————————

• “I want to say to the American people the United States Senate will not be intimidated. We will not be kept out of this chamber by thugs, mobs or threats. We will not bow to lawlessness or intimidation. We are back at our posts. […] This failed insurrection only underscores how crucial the task before us is for our republic. Our nation was founded precisely so that the free choice of the American people is what shapes our self-government and determines the destiny of our nation – not fear, not force, but the peaceful expression of the popular will.” -Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY)
  • “The process of healing is separate and in fact requires accountability. And so if we allow insurrection against the United States with impunity, with no accountability, we are inviting it to happen again … Without it, it will happen again.” –Representative Alexandria Occasio-Cortez (D-NY 14th District)
  • “We saw a terrorist attack on the United States Capitol. Everyone who attacked the Capitol should be fully prosecuted and they should spend a long, long time in jail.” And, in response to whether he should take blame for the events of January 6th, “Not remotely. What I was doing and what the other senators were doing is what we were elected to do, which is debating matters of great import in the chamber of the United States Senate. I joined with 11 other Senators and we proposed to the Senate that Congress should appoint an electoral commission.” –Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX)
  • “On Wednesday, the President incited a deadly insurrection against America that targeted the very heart of our Democracy.  The President represents an imminent threat to our Constitution, our Country and the American people, and he must be removed from office immediately […] As our next step, we will move forward with bringing impeachment legislation to the Floor.  The President’s threat to America is urgent, and so too will be our action.” –Representative Nancy Pelosi (D-CA 12th District)

CHAT News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in