Kisha Williams / Elite Realty

Fears for 32 Years: ‘Never go alone’ to Halloween Horror Nights

Disclaimer: The following story includes spoilers and specific details about the event.

“Enter now, as this horror night begins!” Dr. Oddfellow chants in the opening ceremony of Halloween Horror Nights (HHN) 32. The gates open and the adrenaline rush begins, as characters covered in fake blood, dressed in thrilling costumes charge at Dr. Oddfellow’s visitors. With a total of five scare zones, ten haunted houses, five open rides, and a show called Nightmare Fuel Revenge Dream, HHN is filled with fun and fear. 

With a lineup of fantastic haunted houses, this year’s HHN is one to remember. The main event is The Last of Us, which is based on both the video game and the show, where the American people are infected by a fungus that controls the human mind. When you walk into the house, the fungus is all over the walls and floors, and you’re greeted by the people who are yet to be infected. As you move throughout the house, the fungus begins to evolve, transforming humans into new organisms. Just when you think it’s over, another scare-actor jumps out at you as you exit.

Another one of the most popular attractions is the Stranger Things 4 house. After waiting 2 long years for a new season to drop, people finally get to experience Stranger Things’ authenticity through HHN. The house immerses you into Eddie’s trailer home, as Crissie’s mind is being attacked by Vecna, while her limbs break into multiple different directions. As you continue, you encounter the Eleven versus 001 flashback scene, when Eleven opens up a gateway to the Upside Down. You’re in the middle of it. One of the season’s most iconic scenes, in which Max runs to save herself from Vecna in the Upside Down, is displayed. You can hear the menacing sound of the grandfather clock along with Kate Bush’s infamous song “Running Up That Hill,” playing in the background. Except there’s a twist: instead of Max running away from Vecna, you’re the one rushing to find a way out. 

Freshman Kristen Martinez expresses how it’s her “third year going, and [her] experience was really good. It was the best out of all the years, and there wasn’t one bad house.” She also shared her “favorite would be Stranger Things, but [she] might be biased because it’s [her] favorite show.”

Other haunted houses include Chucky: Ultimate Kill Count, Dr. Oddfellow’s Twisted Origins, The Exorcist: Believer, and six more. Junior Natalia Portell describes her experience, “it was the monster’s unmasked house where I literally fell. That one was scary, I really liked that one.” Sophomore Olivia Onice, reveals, “The Dr. Oddfellow house had the most jump scares for me, but I really loved the Dueling Dragons house. It was really beautiful.”

The five “scare zones” each have an origin story, each a component in Dr. Oddfellow’s collection of horror. Dark Zodiac, Jungle of Doom, Vamp ‘69: Summer of Blood, and Shipyard 32: Horrors Unhinged are among the zones. Tricks, malicious creatures, foggy haze, and vampires are among the frightening scenes. 

If you ever feel the need to take a break from all the terror, there are five rides, including fan favorites Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit and Transformers, open that allow for a different type of thrill. 

This year’s Halloween Horror Nights event has been thrilling and exciting, but watch your back, because you never know when a demogorgon or an infected is going to pop out at you!

View Comments (4)