A Topic Up For Debate: Amend or Not To Amend Journalism Programs?

Marlee Jaworski, Staff Writer

In recent times, there has been a topic up for debate regarding the use of cellphones in school. Some schools are now using smarter technology which would benefit kids that are using cell phones. Although, schools in different states have been prohibiting the use of phones along with the use of them in classrooms. The schools in these states have grown concerned about the use of cellphones as it may affect many things in the area such as the lesson the teacher is giving. 

Now, Florida is especially pressing the issue of cell phone use onto state legislators in order to satiate the concerns of educators and parents. This bill is many pages long and mentions many new adjustments that should be made in schools. There are issues in this bill such as mental health, the use of technology, classroom sizes and many more. It is mentioned in this bill how all the schools and districts are responsible for any materials and instruction for the students. Florida’s whole goal for this 2023 bill is to make sure that all of their residents have a bright future ahead of them and that they are working hard for their future in the correct way. According to this recent bill these procedures will take place in the beginning of July of 2023. 

As this bill can possibly be coming into the curriculum, it can make students realize certain habits that they never knew they had. A popular opinion is that it is better to talk to a person over via social media or texting. Although some people prefer a person’s real reaction to a question rather than a text message. PPCHS tries to make sure everyone feels included and that their voices are heard. In the bill it even mentions that when students have a healthier brain development it allows them to have better communication skills and more focus. Maybe, if phones are used only at certain times of class it can help make students pay attention more and ask more questions during the lesson. 9th grade teacher Mrs. Altimore says, “partner and group work would become more focused and creative without students holding onto their phones.” When students are interacting it can allow them to learn new life lessons and become more aware. In the beginning of the bill it even mentioned that with the use of technology it can cause certain health problems which can then affect all of their academics. The legislation even suggests that there should be systems and programs that help students with their mental health from cell phones. Freshman Amanda Quintela even says, “if Florida were to ban the use of cellphones in school, there would definitely be less cheating going on, and students would be more focused during class.” 

Unfortunately in today’s time smartphones will not be able to go away so the only thing that can happen is that the students and staff adapt to the uses of our phones. If a balance is made, participation can be higher in school and academic scores can go up. Social media and interviewing play a big part in the journalism world and without the use of cellphones stories will never be able to get done in a timely manner. Principal Bayer even said, “Nowadays I get my news in 5 seconds, but if technology and phones are limited in schools I would be reading about yesterday’s news and I feel like that impacts journalism immensely.” In the middle of the bill it talks about verification for certain media used for news reporting. The legislation wanted to make clear that it is important to look after students’ well being on the internet. Phones can be used productively when there are safety rules. Amanda Quintela also said, “without our phones in school, school work would be harder to keep up with in terms of submitting things on time and keeping track of grades would be difficult.” A supreme court case from the bill even said if there are any inappropriate items from the internet it can lead to things such as temporary or permanent injunction or a penalty. Journalism is all about presenting ideas to the world and if there is a balance made with phones in school it can allow the publishing and editing to go quicker. 

Overall, some people think that if phones were used less in a school setting it can create more creativity. Other people may think that phones are used for the better and can improve journalism with the ways that news needs to be published. As many do know that phones have changed drastically and although it can change a shift in the way the journalism programs function it is simply for the safety of the students. This Florida bill is going to take some time for everyone!