Spring Flowers Bring Testing Hours: Tips to Get Through the Stressful Season

Marissa Levinson, Opinions Editor

Returning to school with a relaxed state of mind from your peaceful Spring Break, you take a glance at your calendar– only to discover that the weeks ahead are a complete antithesis of your sunny, stress-free break.  AICE, AP, and EOC exams creep into the imminent future, and it starts to induce anxiety. Luckily, added stress during this last stretch of the year can be avoided!

• Plan accordingly, and establish a routine.

It may be difficult to get through these few months without the help of organization. Although it won’t automatically solve your problems or get the tasks done, planning out your studying and assignments is sure to help. Try getting an agenda, so you can have one place to write everything out, divide studying for one upcoming exam each day, and work accordingly. Esanty Rodriguez, a PPCHS junior, has gotten in the habit of getting home from school and immediately completing “all of [her] work for that day and the next, and then … reviewing for each of [her] Cambridge exams in order of [her] periods.” Also, be sure to set reminders or create checklists! This method can also motivate you to continue when you feel a sense of accomplishment after realizing how much you have progressed.

• Take it one day at a time.

Oftentimes, thoughts and worries perpetually pop into your mind, going completely off track from the initial issue or task, so it’s important to not think too far ahead. Doing so can cause a domino effect of stress, prompting you to avoid facing your obligations and responsibilities just because you’re overwhelmed with what might come next. Don’t let overthinking get the best of you. 

• Put yourself and your mental health first.

Take a deep breath and remind yourself this stress is only temporary. It is crucial to get good rest, take breaks, and return to studying with a rejuvenated mindset. You can’t get anywhere with an overworked mind, and everyone needs breaks in order to strive to the best of their abilities. However, don’t let your breaks completely pull you away from your tasks. Read more about taking proper, productive breaks here

• Take a break from other tasks.

Students have other responsibilities beyond academics that can also add to the stress during this demanding time. Although it may seem irresponsible to prioritize one aspect of your life over another, you may need to temporarily pause any extracurricular activities for the duration of testing season to allow your mind to focus on one obligation at a time. 

• Take advantage of your time.

Rather than putting your head down to take a nap when a teacher wraps up their lesson, or waiting until the day an assignment is due to begin working on it, use any extra time to stay on top of your work, even if you think you will have other opportunities to complete it or if it’s for another class. Pines Charter junior Lauren Castillo “make[s] sure to get to work” as soon as she has the opportunity to do so. She finds it easier to cope with stress “by either reviewing for [her] upcoming exams or doing the work [she] has assigned” even if it isn’t due immediately. This allows you to use the time you have at home studying for what’s ahead or taking a truly relaxed break knowing you have done everything you needed to. 

• Talk it through.

When you’re sitting alone studying, just remember that everyone else, all of your classmates, peers, and friends, are in the same situation– so talk to them. It’s relieving to share with them how you’re feeling, as they can give advice on how to tackle your busy days, relate to your experiences, or just simply be there to listen. 

At the end of the day, testing season is just a season. It’ll be over soon, and before you know it, you’ll be out of school and onto the beach, on a trip, or wherever else summer takes you.