How to Study for AICE and AP Exams – Top Tips to Nail Your Preparation

Samantha Miragliotta, Staff Writer

Studying for AICE exams can be challenging, but it’s also an opportunity to gain a deeper understanding of the subjects you’re studying. AICE and AP exams are designed to be rigorous and comprehensive, and they test your ability to think critically, analyze information, and apply what you’ve learned. To prepare for AICE exams, you’ll need to have a solid understanding of the subject material, as well as strong study habits and time-management skills. Below are some helpful study tips for AP and AICE exams! Here are a few suggestions from students:

“Do you have any helpful study tips for AP and AICE exams you swear by?”

“Well, first and foremost, I would say that no matter what anyone tells you you have to find your own style of studying. Just like there are different ways of learning the material there are different ways to study the material. What works for me are videos. There are SO many videos on YouTube from teachers and students and even College Board themselves helping you out on the content and it is the perfect way to listen and if they have animations like “crash course”, for example, who teaches every subject or well-known teacher in a certain subject like “Heimler’s history”. These are just examples of videos You should check out that can help you absorb the Content faster and easier in the long run! Also, maybe talk to your teacher. I have learned that asking a teacher for extra material that they may have or know about  on the internet makes you seem like an ambitious student which number one, will, let them be more inclined to help you and 2, taking the initiative can help you find things that your peers may not know about, and I know this from experience!” – Senior, Meakayla Ambroise 

“For AP and AICE classes and classes in general I really like utilizing “physical” things. So I usually like doing notecards, rewriting my notes in summaries, and other hands-on things because I feel like that way I retain more information as I write and then reread them.” – Senior, Macarena Morales

“I think some tips are to break down your studying and not be so focused on cramming information all in one sitting, it’s okay to take breaks and have a snack, making acronyms for certain things makes everything a lot easier.” – Junior, Sarah Schnell

“So the AP/ AICE season is definitely a stressful one, especially if you are taking 3+ exams. The best way to tackle all these tests would be to not procrastinate and start studying early. A great  resource to use is the Princeton Review, which breaks down study habits for specific tests. Making flashcards on Quizlet is also really helpful. You start retaining information as you are making the cards and get even more practice by using the quiz resource. It may seem overwhelming but it is possible to get it done.” – Senior, Jessica McIntosh

“I would recommend starting to study far in advance of the exam and use all the resources your teacher gives you” – Junior, Julia Lobodzinski

“For me when studying for the AICE exams, I found notecards and reviewing the material the teachers have given me is the best way.” – Sophomore Ashley Hoadley 

“One study tip that I swear by is writing notes based on the set of notes I took from the book or class notes. Personally, I find that rereading the information in my summaries doesn’t always stick. I’ll miss important details here and there, so rewriting another set of notes (especially in blue ink) helps me recall the information much better.” – Senior, Trisha Villanueva

“I would say always go back to previous lessons even if you aren’t learning anything on that lesson to stay refreshed. And to take practice tests similar to the exam throughout the year.” – Junior, Amelia Coberly

“I’d say the best way for me to actually retain information for exams is to handwrite important ideas and draw diagrams to connect concepts together. From my experience, I think this is a pretty effective way to study, especially if you have limited time.” – Senior, Tejpreet Kaur

“If your exam has an FRQ, DBQ, or any kind of written response, I highly recommend doing practices online. I had to do a lot of self-studying for AP World, and I wrote a LOT of DBQs on my own. It ended up paying off because I breezed through the exam and I managed to finish my DBQs with extra time to spare!!” – Andria Subhit

Remember, every student is unique and has their own learning style, so what works best for one student may not work for another. Experiment with different study techniques to find what works best for you. Good luck!

Written by:

Samantha Miragliotta 

Co-Managing Editor