A Very Special Welcome back from Ginny & Georgia

Mackenzi Charles, Staff Writer

Since the announcement of the release of Ginny and Georgia Season 2 on Netflix, skeptics were unsure about whether or not the show would be a step up from season 1. While some argue that the production caters too much to Gen Z, increasing the cringe factor, rumor has it that the writers have scripted this season much better! More problems, different solutions, plot-twists, and more unknown secrets to be told… or not, there’s no debate it is unapologetically relatable. 

This coming-of-age, high school, comedy-drama is about a mother and a daughter’s transition to having a fresh start and a new life somewhere else. With a suspenseful take on the controversial and complicated past of Georgia, the mother of Ginny, the theme follows the unanswered question: who really is Georgia?

Besides the difficulties that Ginny and Georgia go through, the show is also centralized on prevalent issues teenagers face in the 21st century. Freshman Ryan Moore explains that “the show is great, it’s a good show because it has well-written characters that represent day to day high school kids inside and outside school… the show does an excellent job on real teenage and parent issues.” The new season showcases that anyone of any age can be going through something. Although someone may look fine on the outside, you never know what someone is going through internally, a concept that the show shines a light on. In one instance, viewers see Marcus’s depression and how alone he felt through it. Although he looked happy in his relationship, he had problems outside of it. In response to his mental health difficulties, the show helps others understand that in some scenarios, it is better to take a step back and put yourself first.

Although the producers did a good job involving the characters in real issues, some things weren’t executed as well as others. Freshman Sophia Peterseil expresses that “I don’t like how it left off though, it was finally getting happy, and then it left off on a big cliffhanger.” Her comment was mirrored by others like Freshman Anastassia Anzola, who emphasizes that “Although the cringe can get very cringy at times, it does show sometimes teenagers can say awkward stuff at awkward times, which is what happens in the real world too.” These moments of cringe also let us reflect on some things we may say and how they sound to others. Besides the awkward scenes, Anastassia finds that “Season 2 is so much better than season 1. There aren’t as many cringy clips and the storyline makes so much more sense. It felt easier to understand and I was starting to see all the pieces add up little by little, but then randomly got hit by a cliffhanger, which was a bit disappointing.” 

Overall, the 2nd season was MUCH better than the first and didn’t bore me while watching it. It actually had a structure, unlike the first season. But, a  season 3 is DEFINITELY needed, especially after such a drastic cliffhanger. You can enjoy it perfectly fine if you can avoid the cringe moments in the show. Be prepared for a cliffhanger that will leave you questioning.