‘Tis the Season for Timeless Traditions

Samantha Miragliotta, Managing Editor

Decorating the Christmas tree, baking sugar cookies, building gingerbread houses, lighting candles on the menorah, Christmas caroling, and wearing ugly sweaters are just a few of the traditions that jags are celebrating this holiday season. Below are some student responses to the question “What holiday traditions do students like the most? 

“The holiday tradition that I like most is decorating the Christmas tree and placing holiday decorations around the house because it is where my entire family, including our pets, get together. Also, the house is filled with the smell of peppermint from the tree and holiday music favorites with “Mariah” on repeat! It is something we do each year, and it’s by far one of my favorite things to do this holiday season. This year we even decorated sticking to our theme of gold and white colors.” – Sophomore Leah Miragliotta

“One of my favorite holiday traditions is baking gingerbread and holiday-shaped Christmas cookies with my family. We always make them the day before Christmas and the room becomes enchanted with the most delicious aromas. This is when we come together to have a great time just talking and really appreciate each other’s company.” – Senior Natalia Quintero

“My favorite holiday tradition has to be picking out the matching pajamas that my family and I wear every year! My mom and I are always so excited to gather around the computer to look at which color scheme to decide on. Once the pajamas arrive, my dad and brother’s faces are both always shocked to see what we pick out – because most times we keep it a surprise from them. The cutest part of this tradition is picking out a matching outfit for my puppy, Penny, too. She always shows us up on Christmas day, looking cuter than the rest of the family.– Junior Sienna Garro 

“Personally, even though it may be considered a basic tradition, nothing can really beat just decorating the Christmas tree with my family. We always put holiday music in the back, and we always end up having a lot of fun looking back at all of the memories.” – Freshman Julianna Perez

“My absolute favorite holiday tradition is watching Home Alone with my family. It’s a classic movie that we watch each year. It sets the mood for the cheery holiday season.”– Sophomore Mia Fu

“My favorite holiday tradition is roasting a pig in a “Caja china” on Noche Buena. We usually celebrate Christmas Eve instead of Christmas and cooking the pig with my family has been a staple for as long as I can remember.” – Senior Vanessa Garcia 

“My favorite holiday tradition is that each year my siblings and I hunt Santa. We grab sticks and use the Santa tracker app games and wait til midnight to catch him. It’s hilarious and we have a lot of laughs.” Junior Jesus Rubio

“My favorite holiday tradition is putting up the Christmas tree and decorating it with ornaments and tinsel. My whole family gets together and we have a great time doing the tree.” – Sophomore Matthew Sosa 

“Candy cane carols have been a chorus club tradition for years and what I think keeps it going is purely the fun of it. It’s so much fun to see the looks on people’s faces when they are called to the front of the class to receive one and I feel like it’s something many students and staff look forward to each year.” – Senior Riley Bauer