Kicking Through Adversity: Lucas Giron

Adam Abougendia, Sports Editor

Adversity is defined as difficulties with misfortune. While this simple definition may be the one we are all used to, for The Chat’s Social Media Editor Lucas Giron, the meaning of adversity digs so much deeper. Throughout quarantine, Lucas worked hard to get in peak shape for the high school soccer season. He worked twice as hard and went on a victorious campaign with the Pines Charter varsity soccer team. Adversity caught him when least expected. Lucas unfortunately tore his ACL in March of 2022, abruptly ending his season. While this isn’t the only setback this senior has faced in his life, it was certainly one of his toughest blows. Navigating life without the soccer ball was definitely a challenge, but with the comeback happening next week, Lucas reflects on the struggles faced on the long road to recovery. 

When you first tore your ACL and had surgery, what were your immediate thoughts or emotions? Can you elaborate a little bit about the process after surgery in terms of recovery? 

“Well when I first got injured, I did not think that I tore my ACL. I was hoping it was going to be a minor injury and I would only be gone for a few weeks. When the doctor first broke the news to me, I was absolutely distraught. There was this emotional pain that I honestly could not even explain to you. It was simply horrible. I immediately thought about my high school season. I thought that I was not going to be able to play my senior year of high school, which I was looking forward to because it was my last year to play with my teammates. // After surgery, I started doing physical therapy right away. The first few months of physical therapy were extremely painful. I could barely move my leg and I was on crutches during that time. I would go to physical therapy 2-3 times a week and then work on it at home. I was determined to recover as fast as I could.”

There was this emotional pain that I honestly could not even explain to you. It was simply horrible. I immediately thought about my high school season. I thought that I was not going to be able to play my senior year of high school,

— Lucas Giron

Donated by: Lucas Giron

Would you say the physical effects of not being able to play were easier or harder to cope with as opposed to the mental effects? 

“I would definitely say the mental effects were harder. I felt completely useless and it took a very long time for my leg to feel somewhat normal again. It was especially hard since my team would go to important showcases and tournaments where colleges would be present and I obviously could not attend.” 

What were some things that kept your mind off of all the hardships? 

“I am not going to lie, it was very difficult to keep my mind off of all the hardships. During that time I also had other factors in my life that just made my personal life very difficult. It was a very difficult time for me. When I was able to walk again, that is when I decided to start hitting the gym. That was the best decision of my life. This helped me relieve all the stress and anxiety I had. It really helped keep my mind off of my problems for a while. That was the best way I coped with all my hardships.”

What are your expectations for the rest of the season, from a team aspect and for yourself coming off the injury? 

“Well from a team aspect, I am expecting a lot from the team. This is our best chance to win a state championship since my freshman year. It is our last ride. From a personal standpoint, I am hoping I can just provide support to the team. I know I won’t be able to make an impact on how I imagined but I just want to help the team in any way I can.”