Swimmin’ to States

Brielle Gari, Staff Writer

Swim team leaping their way into religions. A bright and early morning for our jag swimmers heading to regionals, with a little bus delay but that didn’t slow them down. With great anticipation, each swimmer was ready and excited for their first ever regional run. 25 of our star swimmers entered the challenging meet with only six surviving their way to states. With diving expectations, here are some of our star swimmers’ thoughts on their respective seasons. 

“I was so inspired and motivated to keep my team going, we pushed through and cheered others on while we swam. The season could’ve ended better and I wished I personally made it through, but sometimes we can’t get the end result we all wished for. But overall I am very proud and grateful for every moment I’ve had with my teammates.” –Matias Eiletz Bottaro, Team Captain, Senior

“Personally I swam pretty bad at regionals, raced time in both events I swam in. The expectations I had were to make states in an individual event which I felt like wouldn’t be too extreme to meet, I just personally underperformed pretty severely. Which stopped me from achieving  those expectations.” –Karvin Ortiz, Sophomore

“The season started off good and with low expectations of making it to states. Going into BCAA thinking I wasn’t going to do my personal best, I surprised myself at prelims when I had a best time and made it into finals. I ended up placing 8th in A finals for the 100 breast. This led to districts which I didn’t do too well and I was really nervous. This led to Regionals which went really well for me, Zackary Harris, Christian Tijero, and Luca Hincapie as we all made it to states in the 200 IM relay. It was such a fun experience going to states with my teammates and was really shocking seeing the big cameras, the people, and the huge screens. It was one of the best experiences for me.”- Abraham Penaloza, Sophomore