The Old vs. The New: Halloween Edition

Brielle Gari, Staff Writer

With autumn here and Halloween right around the corner, it’s time to carve pumpkins and turn on the spooky movies. Movies like Scream, Ghostbusters, Hocus Pocus and Halloween Kills have made a name for themselves as some of the most acclaimed Halloween movies. From classics to modern day hits, there is a large selection to choose from. But which is better? Are you a classics fanatic or are you a new-age enthusiast?

“Halloween movies [now] are more visually graphic than they were back then, so I would say movies nowadays [are better].”- Freshman Miranda Vidal

“With the new technology that 2022 has to offer the new movies are way scarier than the old ones and more enjoyable to watch too.” – Freshman Nicole Navas 

“The [movies] now are scarier, the older ones are corny and non-scary and predictable. New [Halloween] ones are better, [with] non-predictable, better suspense. It’s better to not have stereotypical characters, like when a girl is always tripping or getting chased. Movies now end with cliffhangers, which make you curious and want more.”-  Sophomore Alexandro Kizeridis 

“I really love old Halloween movies because they use practical effects.  A Nightmare on Elm Street and  Friday the 13th  [were] the start of my enjoyment of Halloween movies as I’ve gotten older. These movies have inspired me” – Senior Christian Bernaard 

“As far as… Hocus Pocus, my kids watched both the older and new [and] I saw a better reaction from the newer movie. The three witches did a fabulous job; after it being 30 years since the first movie, their performance was great. But I was disappointed to know that the other actors weren’t included in the reboot. Watching the new Hocus Pocus did get me in the Halloween spirit.” – Mr. Lavoro

“Horror movies when I was growing up were more with more gore and blood, today’s horror movies are more psychological thrillers with unexpected twists and turns. I prefer Halloween movies nowadays.” – Mr. Pressman