The Tradition That Marks Freedom: Constitution Day

Olivia Ramos, Staff Writer

“The glory of justice and the majesty of law are created not just by the Constitution–nor by the courts […] but by the men and women who constitute our society–who are the protectors of the law as they are themselves protected by the law.”  Addressed by Robert Kennedy, Former Attorney General. 

For 237 years, the Constitution has been a stable ground for many people in America.  Showing the importance of independence, as well as prioritizing the right to public opinion, it gave people the right to free thought and speech, and much more.

With this, the students of Pines Charter celebrated the momentous document through Constitution Day celebration–not only to honor the men who made the Constitution, but also every American that abides by it. 

On the sunny day of September 16, 2022 the AP US Government students of Pembroke Pines Charter embodied patriotism, wearing red, white, and blue, standing high on the grounds of the school. Delivering the words originally written by the Founding Fathers, they read aloud the Constitution. 

Groups of students at different parts of the school, from the fountain to the River of Grass, began reading parts assigned to them by Mr. Quigley, one of the AP Government teachers who believed this tradition to be useful. “It is the basis of all laws of the U.S. It is the beginning and the end,” he proclaims. One student, senior Abigail Hoffenden, read the first 10 amendments, also known as the Bill of Rights. The Bill of Rights guarantees people individual rights in relation to the government: freedom of speech, right to bear arms, freedom of religion, press, assembly, petition and more.

Abigail gave some insight on the whole project: “I really enjoyed doing Constitution Day, especially since it is a Charter tradition,” she said. She participated with her friends, seniors Kymora Stewart and Chidera Okafor, standing on the fountain after lunch. All three of them recited the famous words. “I was a bit nervous, but being around my friends made me feel better…I wanted to carry on the tradition,” says Chidera. 

The Constitution is a very important document. Not only is it a paper that has a set of rules that must be implemented, but it also is a symbol of freedom and independence for all Americans. It was and is still a stepping stone for the right to freedom of thought. It gave people more of an ability to be their own person without the pressure of a monarchical system that was pushed upon the people until the instatement of the Constitution.  It created change. It is considered one of the most honorable and rewarding written documents that Americans stand by. “It shows that everyone has fundamental rights that must not be violated. It protects me and the people I love from having their rights overstepped,” says senior Carolina Garcia. 

Many of the students participated for extra credit, but also wanted to demonstrate their appreciation for the 27 amendments that help them on a daily basis. Mr. Quigley believes that this tradition is something that should last for the years to come at Pines Charter. “This tradition should be held, we are a country not because of the Constitution, but the Constitution did give us the rights to become a country.”

By the end of the day, the students got their extra credit and the students walking from class to class got more information about their rights and the importance of the Constitution. Benjamin Franklin once said, “Tell me and I forget, Teach me and I remember, Involve me and I learn…” What PPCHS students participated in on the 16th of September will certainly stay with them– not only because of their embarrassment, but because of the significance and impact of what they read.