Bragging Rights on the Line

Samuel Morillo, Staff Writer

Confetti flying in the air, the post game huddle, and that incomparable feeling of glory. Just over three weeks into the 2022-23 school year, the anticipation of our school’s sports is in full swing, and it leaves the question, “Which of the Jags’ sports teams will earn the bragging rights on campus?” in mind. 

For the last couple of years, the boys’ varsity basketball team has undoubtedly been the best, performing of the Jags’ athletics teams, landing in the top ten State Rankings on MaxPreps each of the last two years, one of which ended in a state championship in March 2021. Despite losing 6 players to graduation, including Geoff Sprouse, Kolby King, and Elijah Wyche, the expectations are still as high as ever for the Jaguars to persevere once again as one of the best squads in the state.   

Beyond the hardwood, the Jags have also had recent success with both our girls’ and boys’ soccer team. The girls, who only lost one game in the previous season, were remarkable last year, and they’re eager to do the same this year; this time, without their All-Broward first team midfielder Sabrina Araujo, who graduated last spring, along with five other seniors. On the contrary, the boys will have a much bigger hole to fill, having lost 14 seniors last year; however, they will still look to replicate or even improve upon last year’s 14-6 record, which landed them 2nd place in the 5A D15 district. 

Onto the diamond, the Jags’ baseball team struggled last year, falling to Belen Jesuit in the district playoffs after posting an 8-14 record throughout the spring season. Despite this, the team did reveal glimpses of what they can achieve when at their peak, when they beat St. Thomas Aquinas early in the season and West Broward in the highlight of the season, spoiling their senior night. The Jags baseball team, who lost four very valuable seniors, will look to have a more promising year and get back to the district championship team that we’ve been accustomed to.

The famous Friday night lights, under which the whole school comes together to cheer on our football team, are back at Charter. Our very own Jags were scheduled to take on the Northeast Hurricanes during their first official game of the 2022 regular season, but after lightning and rain kept the teams from hitting the field, the Jags were given the win after Northeast failed to reschedule the game for the next week. The Jags then played their second game of the schedule, against Coral Springs Charter. The Jags, led by senior quarterback Malachi Clarke, will look to differ from last year’s team, who was able to string together just 3 wins, after their 4-1 shortened season in 2020. 

It’s tough to predict what the future holds for all of the Jags’ sports teams, but it’s hard not to put the basketball team in the spotlight once again, as they received a top ten ranking in the state of Florida each of the last two years, with a state championship to show for it. We’ll keep a close eye on the group and hope to see them match or exceed their recent successes.