The Life-Changing Overturn of a 49-Year-Old Law

https%3A%2F%2Funsplash.com%2Fphotos%2FFe59OB6S7E0

https://unsplash.com/photos/Fe59OB6S7E0

June 24, 2022: the Supreme Court made a decision that will soon change reproductive rights, and healthcare for all. The Supreme Court was crowded with passionate protestors and vandalized with broken limbs of baby dolls, scattered throughout the grounds of Washington, DC. However, the protesting wasn’t only limited to DC, various other states, especially the trigger law states, were raging with fiery emotions. For many, it is simply another change in history. But for some, this is the ultimate change of their lives.

This historical change has not been printed yet in the textbooks, but students around the country have learned of the effects. Junior Emily Gonzalez has already planned her future. Becoming a lawyer and making a difference in politics has always been a goal on her checklist. She starts her future now, by keeping herself updated on the latest events. “This is going to make a huge difference in both, the student body and for the rest of the women in this country because regardless, abortions will not come to an end.” Gonzalez said, passionately. “Whether legal, or illegal women that need, or want an abortion will still get one; it’s a matter of whether it’s safe or not.”

While many students have differing opinions on the decision, the belief that abortions will continue regardless of the overturn seems to be collectively shared by all sides. Senior Reef Ostendorf, a passionate supporter of women’s rights, shares this sentiment. “I think that the court’s decision to overturn Roe vs. Wade was not in the best interests of women in this country… I think that this will lead to many unsafe abortions in the future,

as the need for abortions does not go away, only the safe access,” she states. 

Regardless of political opinion, students continue to learn and live through history, and are even present in history in the making. Junior Jayden Pichardo feels distraught about this Supreme Court judgment: “Abortion access is a fundamental right for all women and people with uteruses.” Pichardo, a fervent social activist in her community, said “Taking away [access to an abortion] will affect our educational attainment, ability to participate in the workforce, earnings, and our overall health.” 

Many students fear that the overturn could have long-term implications. One such student is junior Mili Ortega: “This huge constitutional right that has been taken will pave the way for the government to continue adding restrictions, ultimately setting us back on the path where we started–with minimal rights and liberties. Now that they have taken away our ability to make a choice, who knows what else they’re able to take away?” 

Regardless, everyone acknowledges that the Supreme Court decision is unprecedented and will affect millions of people around the country. According to an article written by the Guttmacher Institute, “…research has demonstrated that abortion bans most severely impact people in marginalized groups who already struggle to access health care, including abortion.” Already, state legislatures in different parts of the United States have rolled out either conservative or liberal policies on abortion since the overturn was released. This overturn is most likely only the first of more changes to come, as the Supreme Court announced that other cases, like Roe v. Wade, should also be reviewed. Clearly, students at PPCHS are affected by it and continue to wait anxiously for policy changes in our own home state.