Study Tips: Testing Season Edition

Graphic By Viviana Munoz

Trisha Villanueva, Staff Writer

We are nearing the end of the school year, Jags! Hello spring, hello testing season. While this is a stressful time for everyone, it is important to remember to take it one step at a time. Here are a few tips for avoiding burnout!

1. Trust your teachers. Sophomore Liana Samuel states, “I say trust your teachers because they know how the tests are formatted and the material on the exams.” Our teachers have been teaching these classes for years, so they know what to expect, and what not to expect. There will be times when teachers will review what will be on the exam, and won’t, which gives you a general idea of what to expect and what to study for.”
  2. Pay attention and be engaged in your classes. If you have been engaged in class all year, that’s great. However, if you haven’t, now would be a good time to ask any questions that you may have. You might encounter concepts you don’t quite understand while studying on your own, so asking for clarification now will help you study. Also, now that teachers are starting to review the concepts we’ve learned since the beginning of the year, raise your hand and try to answer the questions: test your knowledge and see what you can remember.
  3. Use or make flashcards. For classes that have assigned notecards, definitely use them to study. For example, AICE International students have historical trading cards, where one side has the term and a picture, and the other side has important dates, people, locations, and significance. AICE Geography and AP Psychology students also have flashcards, and it’s an effective way to study because you can easily repeat the process of flipping through them, which improves your ability to recall things from memory.
  4. Use Quizlet. Senior Joseph San Angelo says, “Look up Quizlets that relate to the content you’re learning.” You are bound to find one or even multiple ones that you can study from, as Quizlet has a wide selection. They have different options to study, from flashcards, learning the flashcards, matching, games, and even a practice test. Another bonus is that you don’t necessarily have to make your own Quizlet, but there’s always the option to personalize it based on your understanding. 
  5. Make a checklist. Whether it be a piece of paper or an app on your phone, make a checklist of concepts you know, points you need to review, and what you don’t know. Try and take the time to organize all this, since it enables you to use your study time efficiently. Start with looking at the lessons you don’t know or need more practice with, then switch over to concepts you know well enough but need to review, and leave the things you already know and have mastered, last. 
  6. Review old content first. While you might be tempted to study the most recent content because it’s fresh in your mind, try to review the oldest content first because you haven’t seen it in months. Start with those concepts, and then work your way back up to the most recent content. Why focus on the things you already know instead of the things you need to review more, you know?
  7. Watch videos on AP Classroom. Junior Shane Wooden shares, “If you’re in AP classes, watch the AP Classroom videos. I find that it helps me understand the material and perform better on tests.” In addition to studying the material you learn from teachers, videos from AP Classroom can aid in fully understanding the material. Also, there are many resources on the website, so utilize those resources to help you prepare for your exams.
  8. Write with blue pens. For classes that require you to remember specific details, make sure you study and remember them by writing them out with blue ink (blue helps with memorization). Saying things out loud also helps with memorization: repeat them several times until fully memorized. 

Good luck to every Jag this testing season! We’re almost done, and summer is right around the corner!