Varsity Softball Team Wins District Finals

Donated by Lily McCormick

Lucas Giron, STAFF WRITER

After a very hard fought regular season, our lady jags brought home yet another trophy to add to their already huge collection and it seems like they are not going to stop. 

Last Thursday, April 29th, our very own Varsity Softball team won their High School District Championship against Archbishop McCarthy with a score of 3-2. With this win they advance to Regional playoffs where they have their first game on Thursday, May 6th, where they will play at home against Southridge High School. 

Throughout their triumphs and defeats, their hard work and dedication has helped them persevere through the season and win a much desired district championship. One of the juniors of the squad, shares how the team feels going into regional playoffs and how confident they are after their district final win, “Since we won districts, we are even more excited to keep playing. It has been a rocky season but we’ve worked so hard to get to where we are right now. Going into regionals we are trying to keep the same attitude that we had going into districts. There are so many emotions that go with playing in regionals, but I think we are ready to prove a lot of people wrong”. 

To emphasize even more on how much this district championship meant to them, sophomore Mia Hernandez explains what that win meant for not only her but for the team. “ This win was huge for me, mainly because it was my first championship ever. As for my team, we all have had one rough season, so this was such an important game for all of us. We really pushed through and fought throughout the whole game to win it all in the end. Now we are getting ready for regionals, and we will work as a team to get as far as we can, hopefully making it to the end!”

The lady jags seemed to be the favorites on Thursday night. The Jags currently have a record of 9-11, and they have momentum from their previous win. Their opponent, Southridge High School, currently has a record of 2-10 and had previously lost their last game. Despite these circumstances, the game will make it or break it for these teams to continue their playoff run. Make sure you go support our lady jags at 7 P.M at our home field!