Students are Expected to Return to the Classroom this Fall—Say Bye to Online!

Daniel Morrison, STAFF WRITER

Beginning this fall, students will return to in-person learning at almost 100% capacity.

Robert Runcie, Broward Schools superintendent, announced to the School Board that blended, hybrid or remote instruction will no longer exist for students. The district plans on following the Covid-19 safety measures put in place by the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention.        (Sun Sentinel)

Sophomore Leanna Brereton finds it easier to learn and socialize face-to-face in a regular classroom setting. “I miss that traditional school atmosphere and, most importantly, being around my friends,” she said. “School just doesn’t feel the same anymore.” 

PPCHS english teacher, Nancy Altimore, agrees. “This year has been too quiet!” she exclaimed. Thrilled about having students return to school she added, “I am looking forward to lively discussions, group and partner activities, and students interacting with one another.” Her envisions will likely become a reality as the superintendent explains the factors that led up to his decision. 

Runcie said poor academic performance, an effort to supply kids 12 and over with the Covid-19 vaccine, and the increasing numbers of teachers getting vaccinated are all things he considered. Ariana Lesmes, a ninth grader, knows it has been harder to keep up her grades. “The pandemic has given me a negative mindset that affects the way I learn and approach my work. And the multitude of distractions at home do not help,” she said. 

As for vaccines, the number of Americans who have been inoculated has been on the rise across the country. At school, this number has heightened amongst teachers. This fact, combined with the next step of vaccinating teenagers, is a crucial step to a complete return of in-person learning for students. Vaccine trials for the youth have already begun and are being conducted by drug companies Moderna and Pfizer. Pfizer’s trial has already shown its safety and effectiveness. However, Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert, anticipates kids will be able to get the vaccine by the start of 2022. (New York Magazine) 

Despite this date being far into the future, health experts say it is not a requirement to head back into the classroom; students will likely still start face-to-face learning in the fall.

But not everyone is keen on returning. Freshman Keira Tejada favors online instruction because, “I think I would have a hard time socializing with others at school. At home, I’m also more productive, having time to workout or do other things in the free time between classes.” 

Virtual learning seems to appeal to some with its many benefits. For ninth grader Amaya Mateo, “the online setting is more comfortable and isn’t very stressful.” But most jags want to be reunited with their classmates and experience face-to face schooling once again. Virtual options, such as Florida Virtual School and Broward Virtual, are limited but will still be available. 

(Sun Sentinel) 

With the new orders from superintendent Runcie, all Jags are expected to be in the classroom by the start of next school year. The time when bonds are reconstructed, goals are fulfilled, and expectations are made, is approaching.