Graphic By: Henry Severe
Graphic By: Henry Severe

Remembering MSD: 3 Years Later

February 9, 2021

In the midst of a pandemic, it’s easy to wilter like a flower and sulk in all of the disappointments this past year has brought. It’s easy to be upset about what party you didn’t get to go to. It’s easy to lose motivation to do any of your school work. But it’s also easy to take for granted those who you love around you. Those people that you look forward to seeing everyday. For students, parents, and teachers at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, 3 years ago today, those same people were taken from them; in one of the worst ways imaginable. 

On February 14th, 2018, a gunman opened fire on students and faculty at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High in Parkland, Florida. The attack turned fatal, and the gunman ultimately killed 17. Junior Nicolle Sanchez says, “I remember the shock we all felt when we heard the news, especially because it’s so close to us. It’s heartbreaking, even 3 years later. I can only imagine the pain those close to the victims still feel.” To honor the victims, schools in Broward County were asked to have a moment of silence, and turn the day into one of service.  

Perhaps, this is what is expected of schools on days of tragedies, like to honor those on 9/11, but tackling violence in our schools extends beyond this. Senior Zoe Mutombo says, “In this year alone, a lot of students have been left feeling overwhelmed, unmotivated, and ignored, and it’s taken a toll on our mental health. School safety is definitely an issue that is bigger than gun violence, but also involves the mental health that leads some to turn to it in the first place.” Bullying, anxiety, depression, and stress are just a few issues that impact students daily. 

On the 3 year anniversary, this year we can all be MSD Strong. We can all try to make a positive impact in our communities, in a way that keeps us all safe. Maybe clean up your neighborhood park, or check in on a friend who may be struggling to stay afloat in these unprecedented times. Ask a teacher how they are doing before class starts, and try to make someone’s day. Most importantly, don’t take those you love for granted.

CHAT News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in