Charter Students Take Part in Nationwide Congressional Art Competition

Rebecca Lim, Staff Writer

Thousands of students from all over the nation participate in the Congressional Art Competition each year. Sponsored by the U.S. House of Representatives and the Congressional Institute, the competition aims to recognize the work of outstanding young artists. 

To participate, high school students must submit artwork to their respective congressional offices. The 2D artwork can be in the form of paintings, drawings, collages, prints, computer-generated art, or photographs. Local artists and art professionals serve as judges in district-wide competitions (Congressional Institute). However, because of the coronavirus pandemic, the competition has gone digital. Students were asked to submit their work online, and receptions will be held virtually as well.

This year, four PPCHS students took part in the Congressional Art Competition: seniors Christina Copeland, Rebecca Dulberg, and Isabel Lara, along with sophomore Daniel Valderrama. Daniel explains that he was introduced to the competition by his teacher, Mr. Foreman. Daniel was able to create a unique piece of art using photoshop that relates to COVID-19. It shows a man in the middle of a sneeze with a hospital in the background; he explains the meaning of the image, saying “This [image] shows the transformation of a simple sneeze, as currently, it means danger.” Daniel is excited for the competition’s virtual reception and hopes that a PPCHS student will win. He describes the prize as “the opportunity of a lifetime”.

Daniel, Christina, Rebecca, and Isabel will participate in the Congressional Art Competition’s virtual reception for congressional district FL-23; it will take place via Zoom on Monday, May 25 at 7 pm. All of the students’ artwork from our district will be showcased during the event, and the winner will be announced as well. The district winner’s art will then be displayed for almost an entire year in the Cannon Tunnel of the U.S. Capitol Building, “the most highly traveled access point between the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Capitol,” according to the Congressional Institute. Congratulations to our talented Charter artists for participating in this prestigious competition, and best of luck!