Freshman 15 or Quarantine 15

Paula-Lillquist- Rodriguez, Tech Editor

Staying inside all day can limit the motivation to stay active. Without a goal in mind or a game to train for, staying in shape can be very difficult; however, continuing to exercise is important for physical health and mental health. Getting the heart rate up and exercising has also been shown to help boost the immune system and having a functioning and strong immune system is crucial during this time.

Staying in shape and continuing to push harder is essential for collegiate players. Students being recruited and who want to be recruited must continue to practice in order to improve. Mia Prieto is a senior who got recruited to play soccer at Presbyterian College. During quarantine she has taken it upon herself to train harder and to improve her skills. She states, “During quarantine, I just took it as an opportunity to prepare myself even more to get in better shape for when I leave in August to play at the collegiate level. I’ve been exercising every day and leaving only Sunday for rest. I do weight training 3 times a week, I do long distance running and sprints 3 times a week, and I do ball work practice 2 times a week. I make sure I stretch plenty throughout the week. I make myself a protein shake for breakfast, drink plenty of water during the day, and try to have good nutrition in my meals.” As she mentioned, exercise is very important but so is maintaining a healthy diet. 

With school almost coming to end, binge eating unhealthy foods and watching tv in bed may sound like a dream. Unfortunately, everything you put in your body will show in your daily life and energy levels. The best way to go and exercise is to make a schedule of your day and see where you have time. Junior and cross country runner, Grant Shamus states, “I like to set aside at least an hour a day to maintain my shape and to make sure my activity level doesn’t stop.” Setting up a certain time each day to go out and exercise is a way to create a routine which is a way to make a habit. Meal planning is also a really good way to track nutrition intake. This is a way to make sure you are getting everything you get, all the proper nutrients to support your body. The best way to combat weight gain during these uncertain times is just to go outside.