BJs Restaurant

Unlocking Minds: “Blind Date with a Book” illuminates the ‘Key’ to literacy

The daily life of the average high school student revolves around continuous reading. Just moments after the initial morning yawn, we find ourselves engaged in text messages, news updates, and weather forecasts to jumpstart the day. Progressing through the hours, we study with literary pieces from the curriculum, analyzing and absorbing their content. Our eyes then scan over lunch menus, bell schedules, and textbooks, each essential for navigating the challenges of the day. Though we tend to ignore it, reading quietly asserts itself as a fundamental aspect of our everyday existence. 

Key Club has made it their annual tradition to expose students to the delights of reading outside of the classroom. In their event, Blind Date with a Book, the organization not only promotes reading, but simultaneously gives back to the student body. This year’s President, Milagros Ortega, reflects on the event, saying, “Key Club is all about volunteering and donating to the community, however our members don’t get to see the direct impact they’re making. With Blind Date with a Book, we are able to give back to the students in our very own school and see exactly where these donations are going, as well as how interested people are with receiving the donated items.”

To collect books, the organization held a donation drive to reuse unutilized books that could become a significant work to another student. From the heap of donations, Key Club members then wrapped the books with a short synopsis to ensure students can go on a “blind date with a book” and keep it for future use. 

As the club’s Treasurer, Nadjeen Cinevert shares that this event reignited her love for literature the previous year. The senior shares, “I was able to connect with other people who were interested in the same genres and I’ve continued to read other books that have impacted me greatly.” Now, the event brings overwhelming sentimental value to her. 

Due to the rise of social media, literacy in youth has shown a decline, giving Nadjeen a new purpose with the book drive. She continues, “Blind Date with a Book events have encouraged people, including myself, to take a chance on a random book that they wouldn’t see until they unwrapped it, allowing them to try something new. I hope that everyone who received a book at this year’s drive was able to experience the same thing I did.”

Going on a blind date with book shines a light on the intriguing aspects of reading and everything it has to offer the youth of today.

— Milagros Ortega

Having Key Club’s success for the upcoming school year in mind, Milagros hopes the drive helps bring awareness to the club and increases its membership. The organization is only one piece of a students’ impact on their community. The senior adds, “Once you see the impact you’re making, it really opens your eyes to how fortunate most people are. Going on a blind date with book shines a light on the intriguing aspects of reading and everything it has to offer the youth of today.” 

As the foundation of every student’s education, literature is the key to understanding other experiences and promoting tolerance and inclusivity. Since Key Club’s mission includes giving back to the community, this inclusivity is one of the core values that can extend Charter students’ whole lives. 

BJs Restaurant