Sweet Treats by Julie

District title secured, regionals up next

Seconds before the first whistle, the Jaguars are huddled up ready to play in Paladin territory. The crowd is soaring with energy and the gym is filled with purple and yellow colors. 

This past weekend our Jaguar Varsity men’s Basketball team advanced by securing the district title. 

Going up against the South Plantation Paladins, the Jaguars dominated the first half of the game with a 17-5 leader at the end of the 1st quarter. They continued their run at 31-23 at the half. Heading into halftime, the coaches preached the motto, “WIN no matter what!” to the Jags. 

Coming out for the 2nd half the Jaguars knew the Paladins weren’t going to go down easy. Only being up by 7 in the 3rd quarter, the district game was getting tight and the 4th quarter was going to be the determining quarter. 

Committed star players, Joshua Harris and Jeremy Elyzee, combined gave 30 points for the Jags. Taking on the 4th quarter, the Paladins put 17 on the board while the Jags only put up 11. Luckily, with 19 points, Ramez Zayed secured the lead by making both free throws, securing the win 64-63 final. 

“After we won the district final, I was so happy [for] the whole team because for most of us it is our first ever district win,” junior Zemmari Days says of the victory. The Jaguars continue their playoff run this Thursday, February 15th, at home.