Swimming towards the winning point: PPCHS water polo teams

Donated by Carolina Arguelles

The awakening of the new year has brought in a new array of sports, and now, the PPCHS girls and boys water polo team have begun their season with one foot ahead of the competition. Returning to the pool, alongside new recruits and veterans, the 2023-2024 season has a long ‘swim’ ahead of them.

Improving with every passing day, expectations stick high from captains Giada Porven, a  sophomore, and senior Lucas Porven. Already being a close family amongst the teammates, Giada mentions how they continue to “grow together as a team and push each other to do better.” Holding high hopes for the team itself, Lucas can envision his team “surpassing its past generations this year… by working together as a family like we always have.”

Keeping the team in high spirits, Giada alongside the other captains, Natalia Klatt and Sarah Iturlarde, encouraged their teammates’ presence in practice. “[Their] incredible coaches have helped [them] improve and motivate us.” From the boys water polo team, Lucas, alongside many, are empowering one another and welcoming in the new players with grand arms “so that they can play better and our connections grow stronger with each other.” Veterans who have been here the last few years have kept motivation high from returning players along with their new recruits.

Obstacles destined to be discovered and overcome through “recognizing our mistakes and improving on them.” Giada continued, “the minute you make the goal and feel that feeling it’s all worth it.” Lucas discussed overlooked obstacles as “they are their own worst enemy; in any given situation, it is you who has the power over how you react to it… the best thing you can do is to breathe and keep playing your heart out.” Jumping over such obstacles, the captains are ready to help their team through any situation this season. 

Giada watches as the girls group grows and they “move forward as a team, and continue being district champions.” With already a great record of winning their recent game, the elatedness continues as they are determined to win many more. “I’m excited to see my teammates do better than they ever have, and for our team to make Charter history.” Lucas stands with determination on his back for a successful, final year. 

As the games continue, with wins and losses, the PPCHS water polo teams await their chance in districts with high hopes riding on them as they swim, making their shots count with their teammates help. With all bringing their own talents, they wait for the whistle to commence the match.