The Committed Ones: Jeremy Elyzee

Taking a powerful leap to shoot a winning point, senior Jermey Elyzee’s last year on the basketball team is one he won’t forget. Elyzee committed to Southeastern Louisiana University, where he will be continuing his basketball journey.
(Abby Santos)

At the age of 9, the parents of Jeremy Elyzee were cycling him through every sport imaginable, but as soon as he got his hands on a basketball, he knew this was the sport that he wanted to play and hasn’t put it down since. Fast forward to his senior year in high school, Jeremy’s  unwavering love for the sport and work ethic led him to receiving multiple Division 1 offers. After careful consideration, Jeremy decided to take his talents to Southeastern Louisiana University (SLU), where he will be attending this upcoming fall on a full ride basketball scholarship.

After spending years honing his craft, Jeremy says the turning point in his basketball career was the summer of his 8th grade year. “I started taking basketball more seriously, doing two to three workouts a day because it was something I really wanted to pursue.” His discipline and dedication paid off as Jeremy would start to get recognition for his skills by basketball critics like Marcus McGee, and eventually become one of the top ranked players in South Florida.

Jeremy expressed, “This recognition was definitely a game changer for me; it took me from feeling like an average player to me actually having to think about my future in the sport.” Furthermore, “It made me want to work harder. I knew that my discipline and work ethic would have to improve if I wanted to play at the next level.”

The more acknowledgement he received, the more confident he grew; his game was improving at a rapid pace. His junior year Jeremy averaged 14.4 points per game, helping lead the Jaguars to the district finals where they unfortunately fell short to William T. Dwyer High School. With his unique ability to score the ball on three levels, and natural defensive instincts, a lot of college coaches started taking notice of him, looking to add him to their roster.

Jeremy would then go on to pick up offers from Georgia Southern, University of Central Florida, Florida Gulf Coast University, and others.

During the summer, Jeremy would play AAU basketball for Florida Pro, a basketball organization where only some of the best players in South Florida are featured. During his time with the team, Jeremy would receive an offer from SLU. He was beyond ecstatic when he got the call saying how he was “jumping for joy.” He just remembered a sensation of happiness taking over his body, and his family celebrating and congratulating him. “My mom was so excited for me and wouldn’t stop smiling, whereas my dad was trying to keep his composure, but I could tell how proud he was of me. It was a very prideful and passionate moment that I will never forget.”

Jeremy has now entered his senior year and is averaging 17.8 points per game, shooting a staggering 65% from the field. He’s played a crucial role in the Jags 18-4 record and the key to their success so far in the season. As the season carried on Jeremy decided it was time for him to commit to a college, and in mid-January officially announced that he would be committing to SLU.

Jeremy chose SLU saying, “They believe in me the most, and recruited me the hardest. They were calling me up weekly, seeing how I was doing, and just showing that they genuinely cared about me.” He believes that SLU will take him to the next level, and hopefully lead him to a professional basketball career.

Despite his success Jeremy remains thankful for all the people that have supported him in his journey. He’s not just a player, but is a student of the game trying to learn as much as possible from his teammates, coaches, and even family. “My dad and little brother push me to be better everyday. My little brother is always critiquing my game, and my dad just wants me to be the best player I can be. I really appreciate all that they’ve done for me.”

Jeremy is exhilarated to enter this next chapter in his life. He’s ready to give his all to basketball, and at SLU. “They’re getting a player that can hustle, score, defend, pass; whatever they want from me I am willing to give,” he said confidently. Jeremy’s hopes are high as he gets closer and closer to the start of his collegiate career. “I’m ready for college ball, better hope they’re ready for me.”