Music notes and nominees: The 2024 Grammys

Madeline Albear

The ball drop at the final moments of a year not only commences a new 365 days, but also the start of the awards season. Television shows receive their representation at the Emmys and movies at the Oscars, but music’s night to shine this year was February 4th at the 66th Annual Grammy Awards. 

Host Trevor Noah brought a light and fun energy to the event, contrasting the criticized Golden Globes host, Jo Koy. A steel cage with pop sensation, Dua Lipa, inside opened the show as she performed a medley of her newest singles, “Training Season” and “Houdini,” along with, “Dance the Night” from 2023 Barbie’s soundtrack.

The first trophy to be taken home at this year’s Grammys was labeled with “Best Pop Solo Performance”– a controversial start to the night with “Flowers” by Miley Cyrus beating out the also widely loved “Vampire” by Olivia Rodrigo and “Anti-Hero” by Taylor Swift. Some viewers felt the song was less deserving of the win than its competitors, including PPCHS sophomore Juliana Duperval, who believes “if you see all of the other songs compared to that one it’s not living up to that title.” Despite personally disagreeing with The Recording Academy’s choice, she recognizes “other people might like it,” taking into consideration the subjectiveness of music, a key factor in maintaining professionalism in the music industry on award nights like this. 

With the most 2024 Grammy nominations, SZA was among the big names of the night, earning three out of her nine potential awards, including for her earlier performed song, “Snooze.” The artist was tearfully grateful at her monumental achievement. 

A satin red dress, dripped blood of the same hue, and raw vocals were among the stage that Olivia Rodrigo took to perform Song and Record of the Year nominee “Vampire” from her sophomore album Guts. Taylor Swift, a rumored foe of Olivia Rodrigo, slyly debunked the theories, by singing along to the ballad in the audience. 

Since her debut to music in 2006, Taylor Swift’s name has been a frequent flier in the list of nominees at award shows. Since her start in country music, she has broadened her range of genres in her ever growing catalog of songs, winning countless awards all around. It was no surprise to viewers when her name was cheerfully read off the envelope for Best Pop Vocal Album, but what did surprise fans was what she used her acceptance speech time to say. “My brand-new album comes out April 19th. It’s called ‘The Tortured Poets Department,’” she announced with a mischievous smirk as fans got deja vu, reminiscing on when she similarly announced winning album Midnights at the 2022 VMAs. The 34-year-old, now billionaire later returned to the stage that night to casually break another record, becoming the first artist ever to win Album of the Year four times, also for Midnights.

Other notable wins of the night include Karol G’s first Grammy for Best Música Urbana Album, Victoria Monét for Best New Artist, and Jay Z for the Global Impact Award.

Billie Eilish’s performance of Song of the Year “What Was I Made For?” proved there’s beauty in the simplicity of a stool, a microphone, and a piano, played by her brother and co-writer Finneas. Opposingly, Miley Cyrus performed a free, energized version of “Flowers,” even exclaiming that she just “won her first Grammy” with utter joy. Billy Joel returns to music after three decades with new song “Turn the Lights Back On,” which he showcased that night. 

The night took a more somber turn to pay respects for those prominent in the music industry who have recently passed. Stevie Wonder paid tribute to late friend Tony Bennett with “For Once in My Life.” Numerous others, including Tina Turner and Tony Bennett, were honored through the voices of Annie Lennox’s Jon Baptiste’s and Fantasia Barrino.

From performances by U2 and Travis Scott, to awards taken home by Boygeniusand Billie Eilish, this year’s Grammys left some fans singing their favorite songs, some left speechless at the shockers of the night, and everyone anticipating this moment next year.