The 75th Primetime Emmy Awards: A night of revelry and recognition

Justin Betancourt

Nostalgia, entertainment, and awards! The Emmys had all to offer this year and more–starring the stupendous host Anthony Anderson (American actor and comedian who’s best known for his role on ABC’s drama/sitcom Black-ish) and a thrilling commentary from countless nominees.

The Emmys is an annual event that recognizes and celebrates excellence in the television industry, giving credit where it is due. This year’s ceremony was held on January 15, 2024, at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, California. Of numerous nominees, highly-favored shows such as Succession, The Bear and Beef saw the big stage.

Among those titleholders, Blackbird, Only Murders In The Building, Ted Lasso, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and Wednesday were recognized for their directing, outstanding acting performances, and wonderful writing.

The ceremony had many highlights. Of those moments, Elton John finally achieved EGOT status at 76 years old and Ali Wong became the first Asian woman to win an Emmy for a lead acting role. Two black actresses, Quinta Brunson, Abbott Elementary creator and lead actress, along with Ayo Edebiri, supporting role in The Bear, took home awards in the comedy categories. 

Anthony Anderson opened up the night  with a surprise sitcom tribute, managing to turn the stage into an old-fashioned sitcom set, sitting at the piano and singing songs from the past. “I thought the tribute was meaningful, and it definitely made my mom laugh.”, freshman Tsarina Brunson noted. It was shortly after the sitcom tribute that Anderson sang Phil Collins’s “In The Air Tonight,” having drummer Travis Barker on the stage. 

When it came to credit, Succession outshined, receiving 27 Emmy nominations and winning six awards,  tying with The Bear. Lead actor of Succession, Kieran Culkin’s acceptance speech was lighthearted and appreciative. Culkin thanked the entire cast of the show and reflected on his opportunity to win an award after so many years. 

The 2024 Emmy Awards ceremony was a testament to the incredible talent and creativity that exists within the television industry. It was a night filled with laughter, tears, and unforgettable moments. The winners and nominees have set the bar high for future television productions, and it’s exciting to see what emerges for television in the future.