Harvard academic year gets off to shaky start

Zoe Porcia

Recently it was alleged that Harvard’s previous president, Claudine Gay, committed the act of plagiarism. Considering her role, and the power it holds at the university, Gay’s position as president is in jeopardy, and she is now being forced to resign.

Gay’s time serving in office is the shortest in Harvard history, as she was president for only 6 months and 2 days. The issue first began when student groups at Harvard responded to the Israel-Hamas war, specifically regarding the October 7th ambush, favoring Hamas, and blaming Israel for the outbreak of violence. Separately, Harvard’s administration responded, expressing their sympathy towards the situation, and their separation from the conflict. However, that didn’t resolve the issue, as Gay along with two other administered presidents were hauled in by congress to attest in antisemitism investigations amongst several universities. During Gay’s testimony, when she was asked if prejudice against Jewish people was against Harvard university’s morals Gay explained how it could be, but only depending on the context of the situation. 

Following the already apparent controversy, Gay was then accused of plagiarism in her work, regarding Black participation in politics, jeopardizing her academic integrity. At first it was only bloggers digging into Gay’s background, finding plagiarized work, but when the situation escalated, Big-time media sources began searching. It was found that Gay used multiple other sources in her work without crediting the original writer. Gay denied such allegations claiming that “I have never misrepresented my research findings, nor have I ever claimed credit for the research of others.” This resulted in her announcing her resignation on January 2, 2024. Gay’s time as president was speculated to last about a decade, yet her time was cut short, resulting in her time as president being only 6 months and 2 days, the shortest in Harvard University.

Despite her resignation from her previous position, Claudine Gay will remain a part of Harvard’s faculty working as a professor of government, where she has worked for almost two decades.