Photos By Lisset

Next week’s tech talk—Hour of Code

Annual Hour of Code returns to Pines Charter to teach the value of coding and computer science
Justin Betancourt

Ever wanted to make an object move across your screen? Build your own app? See a big idea take form one “bit” at a time? Beginning December 4th, you can. 

Monday marks the first day of Computer Science Education Week, an internationally-recognized week of inspiring K-12 students to learn computer science. Charter’s own students will be joining more than 100 million students worldwide to “decode” the language of computers and begin with the basics—it’s called Hour of Code. 

“It’s promotion for computer science,” explained Charter’s Cybersecurity Instructor Mr. Maxwell. “[Hour of Code] introduces high schoolers to computer science and gets young ones involved in it.” 

Student activities will be made available on Canvas for 9th-12th grade students to participate in during homeroom. “We have two activities, one [of] which is the Coding Dojo: students will sign in and practice actual code,” said Maxwell. “The other will be more of an AI-type [program].” 

Jags will be able to do things such as code the movement of an object from one area to another, all while being introduced to foundational 21st century computer programming skills, he said in an email. 

“In the first week (December 4th-10th), everyone in the entire country is doing it,” explained Maxwell. However, Hour of Code will return to Charter during the last week of school before winter break (December 18th-22nd). “It will allow all the various departments to share in what we’re doing,” he said. 

Andres Vilanova, a seasoned Web Design student under the instruction of Mr. Toepel, describes his experience with coding. “It’s something like an entirely different language that can create anything [one] puts their mind to.” 

A different language an Hour of Code can help decrypt. 

View Comments (1)