Heading back onto the field with high hopes: Lady Jags Soccer

Brielle Gari

It’s that time of the year again, where players suit up in their uniforms, lace up their cleats, and  prepare for 80 minutes of non-stop action. Soccer season is back and the Lady Jags are projected to have yet another successful season with an even deeper playoff run.

The girls varsity soccer team had an eventful season last year, with a record of 9-6-2, winning their first 5 games of the season. Unfortunately, their season ended after a loss to crosstown rivals, Archbishop McCarthy, in the second round of the playoffs; needless to say the Lady Jags are coming into this season with one thing on their mind, revenge.

Senior Forward and Captain Riley Ahearn eagerly states, “We usually play McCarthy in the district finals every single year so if everything works out we’ll play them and that’s the rival game that everyone looks forward to!” 

This is an exciting year for Riley as she aims to win districts and states as captain, but personally wants to improve on making her team better. “As a captain this year I want to get better with my leadership skills and just bring the team together.”

After a 5-1 season opener win against Fort Lauderdale High School, the girls show their hunger for more wins and competition. Though the Lady Jags’ last three games were canceled or forfeited due to some unforeseen circumstances, the team still has high hopes and positive attitudes on getting back on the field.

Center Back Adriana Lopez (Junior), shared her goals and expectations for the season sharing, “I personally plan on improving my game and how I play; I hope to better my knee injury and improve on the common mistakes I made last season.”, hoping for an undefeated season to set the team up for districts and eventually states.

This could be one of the most exciting and promising girl soccer teams Charter has ever seen. With an undefeated season and a passion for winning games, the girls are manifesting a state championship in their future. 

View Comments (5)