Maine Shooting—another record breaking tragedy

Justin Betancourt

Friends and family joined together on October 25, 2023 for what they expected to be an enjoyable time in a local restaurant and bowling alley in Lewiston, Maine. However, this day quickly turned into a horror story for this community. 40 year-old, Robert Card, took the lives of 18 people and injured 13 more with ages ranging from 14 to 76, first in a bowling alley called Just-in-Time Recreation, and later at Schemengees Bar & Grille. This has now become the deadliest shooting in state history. 

What seemed like a normal day on a Wednesday evening, quickly took a turn for the worse as a 911 call was made reporting the first shooting in Just-In-Time Recreation. Policemen rushed to the scene immediately. 12 minutes after this call, several calls to 911 were made reporting another shooting at the Schemengees Bar & Grille. 

The main suspect, Robert Card, fled the scene and was not found on the day of the tragedy. The authorities quickly released photographs of the armed suspect and the vehicle he was seen in. The Maine State police issued an advisory for Lewiston the day after, canceling and closing down all neighboring school districts to avoid any contact with the dangerously armed suspect. 

On Friday, October 27, during a news conference, the officials announced the names of all 18 victims who had unfortunately passed away. Among these victims, many were fathers of young children, people belonging to the deaf community, and the youngest being a 14-year-old bowler who just wanted to play bowling with his dad. “This city did not deserve this terrible assault on its citizens, on its peace of mind, on its sense of security. No city does, no state, no people,” declares Maine Governor, Janet Mills.

The body of Robert Card was found 10 miles from Lewiston near a river with a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was found with the same clothes he wore during the shootings and with two firearms on his body. This discovery officially ended the two-day manhunt that left the residents of Maine in fear of leaving their own homes. Knowing that this attacker is now no longer a threat, citizens of Maine now breathe a little easier knowing that he is no longer at large. 

Students in PPCHS sympathize with this tragic situation. Sophomore, Lola Martinez, speaks strongly about this issue. “Guns should not be handed out to people unless the person who’s buying a gun gets a background check and has a valid reason for the purchase. This is a really big issue and we should not have to worry about this devastating gun violence.” Sophomore, George Reynoso, shares a similar viewpoint as he exclaims, “It was a tragedy, but it could’ve and should’ve been prevented. People shouldn’t have to go out in fear of being shot and killed because of poor gun control and regulation. The solution is simple, create stricter gun laws in not only Maine, but other states with loose gun control now that we’ve seen again what tragedies can unfold.” 

This massacre has left the tight-knit community of Lewsiton shattered, as many loving lives are now gone. Although a heartbreaking tragedy, it is motivating in order to avoid future fatalities. “I will continue to do everything in my power to end this gun violence epidemic. The Lewiston community—and all Americans—deserve nothing less,” declares President Joe Biden.

View Comments (1)