Kisha Williams / Elite Realty

Jada Pinkett Smith sets an example that everybody is ‘Worthy’ of telling their own story

Zack Hladek

When the name Jada Pinkett Smith is uttered, many immediately think of her husband Will Smith and the infamous incident at the 2022 Oscars. While this event will forever follow her husband, especially when he and Jada have their own sets of scandals, fans across the country are left with a lingering thought as to what lies ahead for Pinkett; so, instead of the media writing the story for her, she wrote it herself.

In her long awaited memoir Worthy, Smith recounts moments in her life at her highest, but also at her lowest. While the book has many bombshells, it takes readers on her journey of finding self-love and acceptance.  

In the first chapters of the memoir, Smith writes about what it was like growing up with parents addicted to substances, which became a factor that led her to sell drugs during her teenage years. It is widely known that many stars in Hollywood have hardships, which, unfortunately, Pinkett also experienced. Throughout the book, Pinkett dives into her battles with depression, marital issues, death, drug and alcohol abuse, and the toxicity of the acting industry.

Being one of the most talked about couples in Hollywood, Jada and Will Smith had a different start to their relationship. Both were actors and met on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. However, before meeting Will, Jada knew Tupac Shakur, whom she referred to as her “soulmate,” which made headlines as she revealed many secrets. While Jada clarifies that she and Tupac were never romantically involved, Tupac proposed to her, but she rejected it. She continues to open up about her relationship and how her husband, Will, and Tupac would’ve had a great relationship. When the book was announced, ‌many were curious to see how much their marriage had changed amidst the recent drama in past years. In 2020, news broke out that Jada had an “entanglement” with August Alsina, which shifted the public’s view of her. Then came the notorious slap incident between Chris Rock and Will Smith. A shocking detail revealed in the book was that Jada and Will have been separated for the past seven years. Many wanted to hear Jada’s opinion on the matter. She states she was surprised that he referred to her as his wife, despite being separated. While they both tried to hide the problems of their marriage, little cracks would always show.

Though it may seem unserious, the book reflects as an outlet for Jada to look at how far she has come. Her book is an inspiration to many, as before, she was a young girl with a difficult life, but now, she is a successful mother of three.