The Committed Ones : Alessandra Nunez

Mackenzi Charles, Staff Writer

Fewer than 6%: That’s how many High School Softball athletes decide to continue their softball career in college. With determination and practice, she knew she had what it takes to beat the odds. 4 years later, what is her next step? Alessandra (Ale) Nunez, has decided to take her next steps and go to Manhattanville College, a private college located in Harrison, New York.

Ale is a graduating senior on the softball team that has played for all 4 years of her high school career. She has played a starring role on the Lady Lags softball team, playing 2nd baseman ever since her sophomore year.

Starting at 5 years old, Ale and many other kids, always knew this was the sport she wanted to play starting from a young age. Throughout her years of playing, she began to love the sport more and more every day. “I knew this was something I wanted to continue for the rest of my life because even on off days I’d wanna be back at the field. Whether it was taking ground balls, hitting, or just being with teammates

I knew this was something I wanted to continue for the rest of my life because even on off days I’d wanna be back at the field. Whether it was taking ground balls, hitting, or just being with teammates

— Ale Nunez

”, Ale expresses her love and determination for the sport that she loves and will continue to love. 

Ale always knew this was something she never wanted to give up on, which is one of the main reasons she decided to continue this adventure with softball in college. “I wanted to play in college because why would I want to stop after all the years I’ve put in.” Not only was it her goal to live in one of the most known states but, it was also the coaching staff that drove her to Manhattanville. “Hearing the type of coach he is and that he will push me to be great is all it took for me to choose this college”. Knowing that someone is with you to push you to your limits and make you the best person that you can be, is all she needed to hear to seal the deal.  

While in college Ale will be majoring in Criminal Justice. “I’m not ‘specially sure what exactly it is I want to do yet but it will most likely be in that field. If I end up not liking the Criminal Justice major I’d most likely switch over to something in the sports genre.” Nunez has different options but one thing she knows for sure is that she wants to continue what she loves most. 

Although her high school career has come to an end with the loss to South Fork Bulldogs in the regional finals, high school ball has given her a lot of new friends and memorable experiences. Some of her favorites were hitting a home run against Pines Charter’s biggest rivalry, West Broward, and beating Archbishop McCarthy two times in one year. Ending off with achievements and memories, just like that her 4 years are over… #3 signs off.