Breaking the Fourth Wall with Tutor.com

Kara Warren, Clubs Editor

With the testing season already on its course, the Pines Charter Office of Innovative Learning searched for a service to assist students with their study prep. After weeks upon months of investigating, the team discovered Tutor. com—a free online tutoring service for all Charter students. Learn more about Charter’s partnership with the program and all it has to offer!

• How did you connect with The Princeton Review to implement Tutor.com into the Charter system?

“We were able to research several different tutoring companies that provide similar services as Tutor.com for students and how an online, 24/7 tutoring program could benefit students. We saw that it helps to improve students’ abilities by having access to tutoring and assistance on any of their subjects, at any time of day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. So, we did some investigating and interviewed many different companies and eventually landed on Tutor.com.”

We saw that it helps to improve students’ abilities by having access to tutoring and assistance on any of their subjects, at any time of day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

— Erica Kostzer

• How did feedback from teachers influence bringing a tutoring service into our schools?

“Based on a lot of feedback from teachers, we were hearing that they’d really like to have a service like this offered to their students. So we said, ‘Okay, let’s do some more investigating on it.’ And with Tutor.com, we felt that they were the best fit because they gave a lot of extra perks for high school students who are preparing for the next level. Teachers can also use the platform in their classrooms. So if they want to do lessons and have students work independently, and a student needs help, it adds another ‘virtual teacher’ to the class because you can actually log in and ask a tutor before you ask your teacher.”

• Describe the process of using Tutor.com for interested students.

“Tutor.com not only offers you academic support with a live tutor at any time of the day, but it also provides SAT/ACT/PSAT prep. Since it’s linked to The Princeton Review, students are able to go in and get help directly from the test that they want to take. It also gives extra support when writing papers, college essays, or even job applications. So we thought it would be a great initiative, and we’ve been working really closely with them as well.”

• What feedback have you received about Tutor.com since its original launch?

“We are just a month from our launch date and we have a very good percentage of our students using it. The ratings we’ve seen from our students have been super high.” 

• What did the Office of Innovative Learning hope to achieve with the new program?

“Ultimately, we were trying to give those students and families educational support for those students who possibly can’t afford to have outside tutoring. So this is free to all students in the Pembroke Pines Charter Schools because the City of Pembroke Pines is paying for it.”