The Death of the Shopping Mall

Isabella Cely-Garcia, Staff Writer

A classic staple of American consumerist culture for decades, the shopping mall is a dying ember of an increasingly forgotten era. At the height of their popularity, shopping malls were centers of socio-economic growth. An essential pillar of pop culture, the shopping mall now appears to be on its way out. 

In the last decade, foreclosure signs have become an all too common sight throughout the country. Department stores have been the first to go. With online shopping’s iron fisted control of the market, the gradual decline of more traditional forms of buying was inevitable. Amazon and other, smaller, companies have made shopping in person practically obsolete (Vox). “I get most of the things I need online to be honest. Going to a store is a lot of extra effort, and pretty inconvenient, especially if they don’t have what you’re looking for.” Sophia Becerril admits. The junior is one of many students here at PPCHS who seem to be welcoming this change in shopping culture. 

While this has been a phenomenon experienced nationwide, our local shopping centers seem to be intact, for now. Many students enjoy going to the mall after school, doing all they can to keep it afloat. “I have so many memories at the mall, I can’t imagine it being gone forever. I hope they never close it. A lot of people still go there!” One such defender, Mario Idiarte exclaims. Not only would the closing of the mall affect students’ social lives, but their pockets would take a hit as well. “I work at one of the stores in the mall and if the mall closed I don’t know where else I’d go.” Mia Olmedo, a PPCHS student and Tilly’s employee, worried. 

Fortunately for some, the mall doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. However, it remains important to be aware of trends like these, especially when it can have such a serious impact on our students.