“Give me an H! Give me an O! Give me an S! Give me an A!”

Rebekah Barrera, Arts & Entertainment Editor

The air of the hotel’s first floor is filled with nothing but tension. Room after room holds kids competing to prove whose healthcare skills are at the top of their game, their brows furrowed in concentration and hearts racing with anxiety. As pencils dance on scantrons, swift fingers flip quickly through books, and polished voices deliver powerful presentations, students’ passion for the medical field radiates throughout the entirety of the building.

Only an hour later, the same professionally-dressed kids gather together, their bodies loose and stress-free.  “H! O! S! A!” they chant while waiting for the grand ceremony to begin, with hands fanning glow sticks in the air, faces sporting light-up glasses, and an impromptu conga line forming to the beat of the song blasting in the background. That same fiery passion still stems from one student to the next, only now their youthfulness flows out right beside it.

From April 13 to 16, 2023, 11 of Charter’s very own HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America) members took to the Marriott Orlando World Center to compete at the 2023 State Leadership Conference (SLC). 12 designated regions in Florida attended the event, with multiple schools from every region sending their students who placed in the top three of each category (among more than 20 categories) at their respective regional competitions. Pines Charter’s participants, along with PPCHS HOSA sponsor Mrs.Ramos, were some of the many representing the Sunrise Region.

The Jags worked hard to make PPCHS (and the Sunrise Region) proud, using their new environment as motivation to study wherever they could. And after rigorous competitions that took place throughout all times of day, the Jags brought home victories! Junior Emily Brown not only placed in the top five of her category, Medical Math, but she also won first in the entire state. The top three winners of each category receive the opportunity to represent Florida at the International Leadership Conference (ILC); thus, Emily is soon to be headed to Dallas, Texas, to further her HOSA experience. “[The win] was very shocking!” she exclaimed emotionally. “I’m excited for ILC but it won’t be the same without [everyone else].”

Sophomores Hannah Flores and Annabelle Acevedo took home fifth place in Medical Innovations as well, a continuation of their medical achievements after winning first place at regionals. Charter’s Creative Problem Solving team, composed of juniors Marcus Arayata, Rebekah Barrera, Orion Taleon, and Gabriella Tolentino, placed in the top 15 teams of the state, although their exact position is unknown. While these members aren’t going to ILC, they still express gratitude for the exposure. Like Hannah says, “Even though [they were] nervous to compete at first, it ended up being a lot of fun and [they’re] really looking forward to doing it again next year.”

Outside of competitions, the conference held three grand ceremonies, where all of the regions came together to listen to seminars (from speakers like Patrick Grady, Judy Conlin, and the Be the Match Organization), meet the HOSA state officers, and even jump into spontaneous dance circles. While the variety of activities served as entertainment for the members, the presence and unity of future healthcare professionals alone was an experience in and of itself. Junior Amogh Baranwal, who competed in Cultural Diversities and Disparities, strongly felt that “Being surrounded by thousands of students who are interested in public health was both uplifting and inspiring… sharing a common goal of inclusivity, equity, and reliability through education, compassion, and service was a surreal experience.” The conference also hosted a career fair for students to explore and the Penny Wars, a fundraising event for Be the Match.

While the purpose of the field trip was to give students an advantage in regards to their future careers, the Pines Charter HOSA team took every chance they got to spend time as normal high schoolers. Junior Devadarshini Dhandapani, who competed in Researched Persuasive Writing and Speaking, explains the students’ separate goal of the experience: “Overall the trip was always more than just a competition. We’re young kids and humans before we’re students or even future healthcare workers…so we were able to truly enjoy ourselves before the exam season.”

With this thought in mind, SLC attendees also adventured as friends rather than just HOSA members: the Jags specifically met up to lounge by the pool, explore Disney Springs, enjoy meals together, and generally spend as much time together as possible. “While it’s hard for me to pick one favorite thing about the trip, I would say it’s all the memories I’ve taken away from it,” Hannah reflects. “Even the little things—such as bus rides to the competition or grabbing breakfast together—turned into experiences that I’ll always remember and treasure when looking back.” This feeling is shared throughout the entire PC HOSA team, with their bonds growing closer in the span of just four days. Orion affirms, “Although the endeavor was certainly a crazy journey, there isn’t any other group of people that I would [rather] experience it with.”

While ILC candidates prepare for their upcoming competitions in Dallas, the skills of SLC guests are still bound to contribute to the future healthcare workforce. Like Amogh declares, “It is definitely safe to say that the future of medicine is in good hands!”

A recap of Charter’s experience at SLC 2023 can be viewed on their Instagram, @ppchs_hosa, and those interested in joining the club can look forward to announcements for the upcoming school year.