An SGA Sneak Peek: The Official 2023-2024 Board

Rebekah Barrera, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Behind the successes of Charter’s hit events such as Homecoming, Spirit Week, and seasonal pep rallies lay the masterminds of the PPCHS Student Government Association (SGA)—that is, the officers that lead the transformation from plan to execution.

As PPCHS enters the last quarter of the 2022-2023 school season, new leaders step up to take the place of current SGA officers. Using March 27 to March 31 as their campaign week, each candidate took the chance to flood social media with eye-catching flyers and words of inspiration in hopes of gathering more student voters on their side. The results of such promotions were finally revealed on the afternoon of Friday, March 31, after hours of anxiety, anticipation, and even delay.

With the 2023-2024 SGA board finalized, the new officers had lots to say about why they ran, how they feel about the results, the importance of their roles, and plans for the upcoming year!

President Kara Warren:

“I ran for President because I feel that having two years experience, under two different advisors (Curry and Jablonka) has shown me all the different ways to tackle our projects. Since SGA events are for the entire student body, I want my presidency to reach all audiences—including students & faculty. As President, my job is to oversee all SGA business and help PPCHS’s clubs in any way we can. But I know that the time I’ve spent in the class, hearing from different student perspectives, studying under officers from previous years, and helping out since the start of my PPCHS experience will make next year super successful! Getting the news that I won was so surreal! I remember my sister taking on SGA President during the pandemic and it only motivated me to continue the legacy.”

Vice President Anaya Andre:

“I ran for this position because ever since middle school, SGA has been my life and I’ve wanted to have a bigger leadership role to maximize my impact in the organization and throughout the school. This position is beyond important to me because SGA is the foundation of our school so being at the forefront of such an upstanding organization sets the tone for an amazing 2023-24 school year, which will be my final year here so I’m going to make it count. As VP I plan to work alongside the rest of the board in making next year one that will never be forgotten. From pep rallies to homecoming to student sections, I want to make every student excited about school.”

Recording Secretary Daniel Morrison:

“Extending the limit of what SGA can accomplish has always been something on my mind since I’ve joined the class this year. Being in SGA gives me an inside look on how events are planned and executed and now finally knowing this information, I see an opportunity to make it better. Recording secretary entails keeping the “minutes” of school meetings or, in other words, writing down the most important information discussed in that meeting. In addition, I keep all the records of SGA in an organized fashion. Next year, I plan on taking careful, detailed minutes so that I can figure out the best way to push out a certain event. In doing so, I can also expand SGA’s capabilities as a whole so our Jags can have the best experience at every event possible.”

Corresponding Secretary Dominique Balli:

“I ran for this position because I wanted an office position but I didn’t want too much stress and still [wanted to have] fun. As Corresponding Secretary, I will be running the social media accounts for the most part. Next year I plan to make sure that we keep the accounts as informative as possible while still keeping the study body engaged. It feels great to be a part of the board for SGA next year. I’m excited to work [alongside] my classmates one last time before we move on to the next step in our lives. This year we were able to see more school spirit from the student body, hopefully next year we can see some more participation in events and games.”

Treasurer Athena Gijo:

“Being treasurer is important to me because I believe it is critical to put things into reality. For example, people can bring amazing ideas to the table and we can continue to talk about them but we’re only wasting time if it’s out of our budget. But mainly, I just love being part of the board in the first place. Mr. Jablonka has created the perfect environment for people to take the organization seriously but also have a good time. This year our balance grew by almost $10,000. Next year I’m looking to grow this number exponentially while adding more events for the student body to attend. Becoming an SGA leader feels empowering because you can become very influential but only if you commit to your responsibilities.”

Historian Chloe Correa:

“I specifically ran for historian because I love taking pictures, it seemed like a great role for me to take on due to the fact [that] I do photography, specifically for the school sports teams. This position is important to me because I’m able to create memories for all the students. My goal as historian next year is to be able to capture the best moments throughout the year with pictures [and] make sure every student is able to create memories that will last forever. It honestly feels great that I’m able to be one of SGA’s leaders for next year. I’m already so excited and can’t wait to help contribute in making sure everyone has a great school year… and by the end of the school year create the SGA ‘yearbook’.”

Senior Senator Nathan Josue:

“I mainly ran for the position because I enjoy the position I currently have (Junior Senator). I want to ensure that the Class of ‘24 has a successful and wonderful senior year and I am able to do so by taking part in the planning for it. As Senior Senator it’s my job to attend both SGA and Student Council meetings in order to make sure none of the events interfere with each other. My goals for next year are to create new events in order to raise more money and smoothly plan prom. Even though I’m currently a SGA leader it feels like I’m taking up a brand new role as Senior Senator comes with its own challenges.”

Junior Senator Zoe Cooper:

“Junior Senator is important to me because I wanted to step up and help organize events where Charter kids can have fun and be themselves. [As] Junior Senator I would attend SGA and Student Council meetings for the Class of ‘25 and ensure there are no conflicts… I want to help people connect and have fun with other students. Although academics are important, I also believe it’s important for us to take time to have fun together. It feels great being an SGA leader and I’m excited to see what next year will bring.”

Sophomore Senator Janeyliz Baez:

“I ran for Sophomore Senator because… I love leading and consider it my strong suit. I am able to contribute to both councils and share my ideas as well as have the ability to know what’s going on in both… I’m able to be the middleman. Stepping up and becoming one of next year’s SGA leaders honestly feels so rewarding. It’s something I have loved to do since elementary and being able to pursue it as an underclassmen in high school means incredibly much to me. I can confidently say that being part of a leadership position like this will give me the chance to grow and gain experiences I wouldn’t otherwise get.”