Wearing Your Heart on Your Jeans

Marko Barrera, Co-Managing Editor

Expressing one’s feelings is a concept that holds many different meanings. Depending on the person, it can be difficult or easy. It can be important or simply a side note. No matter the opinion, it’s thoughts like these that usually lead to curling up in bed, opening up the love song playlist, and closing eyes.

As February rolls in, also known as the month of love, these playlists are on repeat the most. An artist that is known for being exceptional at producing songs like these goes by the name of Daniel Caesar. From “Best Part” to “Get You” he has easily proved himself to be one of the best romance music makers of our generation. For this issue of The C.H.A.T.’s Pop Culture Corner, his hit single “Japanese Denim” holds the spotlight. From the story it tells to the meaning behind the lyrics, Daniel Caesar perfectly sums up one of the many perspectives of what love is supposed to sound like through a song about a pair of jeans.

I don’t stand in line, I don’t pay for clubs, **** that

But I wait for you

I don’t like to drink, I don’t like to think, **** that

But I ponder you

Daniel starts the song concisely, mentioning how he doesn’t waste time with things that don’t matter to him, such as standing in lines or paying for clubs. But for this lady, he is willing to go through all of it.

I’m bending it over

You’re my four-leaf clover

As the first line holds an initial sexual meaning, it also references the concept of surrender. Daniel explains that he will submit himself to this woman. The verse closes with Daniel confessing his love and claiming that this woman brings him only good luck.

My blue jeans

Will last me all my life

So should we

I’m spending all this time.

Caesar makes the comparison between the work and effort it takes to produce Japanese denim jeans with the work and effort he is willing to put into the love he has for this woman. According to him, both are similar in the way that it should last forever. 

I’m reaching Nirvana

Goodbye sweet Rwanda

High-school was never for me

As he falls more and more in love, he feels like he is getting closer to reaching his own paradise, hence the reference to Nirvana. Simultaneously, Caesar feels like he is moving further away from the real world, where he is still a student. 

With the season of love hitting at full force during the month, students gave their own takes as to what love sounds like to them. Rasika Sriram voiced that her own “Japanese Denim” is called “Snooze,” a hit song by SZA off her most recent album, SOS. “This song is very straightforward with its message,” she said, “I like how [SZA] keeps her message simplistic, yet meaningful through her voice.” 

Some students don’t have a single song as to what love sounds like. Freshman Noah Lewis discussed how love music comes down to the listeners more than the song itself. “I personally appreciate just listening to Rod Wave with someone else,” he said, “Any song, her and I singing lyric for lyric would be a dream come true.” 

As mentioned before, love’s sensory effects hold different forms, especially here at Charter.  Although the concept of one of the most important four-letter words can be interpreted in numerous ways, it’s known that the feelings it brings is something that cannot be completely controlled. The best thing people can do is control the device in their hands and slide the volume bar higher, blasting the tenderhearted tunes through the month of February.