Pines Charter’s Upcoming Senior DUI Presentation

Taken from Unsplash by Scott Rodgerson

Kimani Dodd, Opinions Editor

Pines Charter has had many traditions over the years. One of the main traditions is the senior DUI presentation, which is put together by the Military Leadership club. This particular event highlights the dangers of drunk driving by showing an interactive simulation. 

To prepare for this event, the Military Leadership club has looked at what was done previous years as well as seniors feedback, both positive and negative. They worked around those things as well as adding the improvements they felt were necessary. 

As for what students can look forward to, Sergeant and senior Diego Mcclaskey says “We’re doing a student driving course where a few students with a license will be chosen to drive a cart through a course with a set of drunk goggles on”, in order to simulate the feeling of driving while under the influence. Additionally, there will be two other events taking place, as well as some guest speakers who will share their experiences with drunk driving. 

Much like many other students, senior Mariana Riano hopes this is a learning experience, stating “I hope that we’re able to discuss why people turn to alcohol and drugs in the first place. It’s important to show why it’s a problem but more importantly to show that there are ways out of addiction and dependency. Making counseling accessible is crucial and knowing where to find it is the first step.” As Mariana emphasizes, alongside the real life simulation that will allow seniors to experience the dangers of driving under the influence first-hand, it’s important to be aware of the factors that actually lead to substance abuse and risky behavior such as drunk driving.

The senior DUI presentation will take place on February 9th at 7:15, be sure not to miss it!