End of the Road for the Girl Jags Soccer Season

Lucas Giron, Staff Writer

The Charter girls season has come to a close after a very respectable season. They went on to reach regional semifinals for the second year in a row and had, once again, a very prominent regular season. 

After ending the regular season with 6 wins and 3 losses they headed off to district finals where they faced archrivals Archbishop Mccarthy, who were defending champions in their division. The team put up a fight and played well, moving the ball efficiently and keeping possession of it. 

The Jags scored first with a clean strike from freshmen player, Riley Ahearn. Despite seeming to be the more dominant team, Archbishop came back to tie it up 1-1. After time was up, both teams went to extra time. Neither team scored in extra time, so it was time for a penalty shootout to see who would lift up the district championship trophy.

Unfortunately, the girls lost 3-0 in penalties and couldn’t take away the title from Mccarthy. However, even with the loss, the girls would still move on to regional playoffs as the two teams who make district finals both would move on to the next round. Goalscorer of the game, Riley Ahearn, shared her thoughts on the district final game: “It was heartbreaking how we went out. I believed we were the better team, but it seemed like it wasn’t meant to be. I’m proud I was able to score and how we played. I believe we can go far in regionals.” 

After their loss, the Jags would go on to face Terra Environmental Research Institute in regional quarter finals. After their first game was cancelled due to the weather, they were able to play last Wednesday and got a win 1-0. This win allowed the girls to face Archbishop for a second time for regional semi finals. 

Both teams were ready for a fight as they were set to play on Friday night. The girls were trying to create chances forward while Mccarthy was playing a more defensive style. Despite having more possession of the ball and having some solid chances, Mccarthy scored to make it 1-0. Despite this, the girls didn’t give up as they went right back to playing how they were playing. The Jags had many missed opportunities to tie up the game and Mccarthy took advantage of this as they went on to go up 2-0. 

2-0 down in the fourth quarter as time was ticking down was not a good sight for Charter; however, their motivation and drive didn’t die down as they tried to look to score a goal. Sabrina Araujo-Elorza gave them hope as she scored a header to bring the score to 2-1. This was not enough as they ended up losing 2-1. A very devastating defeat to end their season short. 

Sophomore starter, Mariana Ardila, states her opinion on the game and the future of the girls varsity team: “ I honestly believe that we had a really good season. With no doubt we were definitely the better team in the district we just got unlucky with the outcome in the semifinals. Next year and the years after that our goals are definitely to beat Archbishop and to win states to bring back that trophy.”

We all cannot wait to see the accomplishments of the Charter girls varsity soccer team in the future and we hope they can bring back that state championship back home.