Girls Varsity Soccer Team: Can They Win Districts this Year?

Donated by Francesca Brito.

Lucas Giron, Staff Writer

Another year, and another trip to the playoffs for the Girls Jags soccer team. There is no doubt that the girls varsity team has shown dominance over the last couple of seasons. Making playoffs every time in the last 5 years and even making district final appearances. However, this year may be a little different. As they head into playoffs they do not seem to be favorites to win districts. 

Archrivals Archbishop Mccarthy seem to be the team to beat in the district. The reigning 5A state champs have only one loss in 17 games. The team is ranked number 50 in the nation while also being ranked number 22 in the whole state of Florida. 

Nevertheless, this is not to take away the accomplishments of the Jags girls varsity team this season. Having won 5 games this season with a goal differential in these five games of 33 goals scored while only getting scored on once. Star players like Francesca Brito and Eliana Salama lead the attack for the Jags as they hope to win some silverware. 

When asked how confident they are in winning districts, one of the sophomores on the team, Mariana Ardila commented, “I am honestly pretty confident. We have a really good team this year and the team has built up really good chemistry within each other which really projects the potential we have to reach the finals and win the championship. We all really want to win more than ever so I definitely believe we will fight to get it.” 

The girls varsity team is set to play Alonzo Mourning High School for district semifinals on a date that has not been set yet. If the Jags win this game they will face either Archbishop or Hollywood Hills in district finals. The winner of that game continues their journey into regional playoffs. 

Freshman Riley Ahearn states her opinion if she believes that the team are the underdogs to win districts, “ In all honesty, I don’t believe we’re the underdogs. We have a strong team that is very capable of beating anyone.  In all the past games against Archbishop they have all been very close so I think if we face them this year it’ll be a good game.” 

The team has to take one game at a time and play soccer the way they know how. It will only be a matter of time before we see if the girls varsity team can come out on top and win districts, and then hopefully continue their season to try to accomplish the ultimate goal of every high school athlete, winning a state championship.